Chapter: Knowing each other

Next day: At school

I get out of Stan's car. He tells me I am going to go on the bus this time. My parents anniversary is today so they are going to the beach and Stan is going to work.

"What about Lu?" I ask.

"She is going to visit her mom at the retirement home. She be there by dinner though," he says. He rolls up the window and leaves. I sigh, I never taken public transportation. Though, Stan already gave me the directions so I'm good. I begin to walk into the school and see Leslie by my locker.

She has jeans with a floral print loose blouse. Her hair is in the usual messy bun and she has sandals on.

"Hi," she smiles as I approach her.

"Hey" I open the locker and get the library book I need to turn in.

"Oh you read? Awesome, " she says. I look at her, "I think almost all Americans can read Leslie."

She rolls her eyes, "Well yeah but not all read books. What book is it?"

I show it to her. "Moby Dick."

"a classic" she smiles. "I read that when I was in eight grade."

I close the locker door and begin to walk to the library. Leslie obviously walks with me. I see people stare but I am used to it.

We arrive to the library and drop the book into the outside drop box.

"So," Leslie says. I look at her. "What?"

"Can I sit with you during lunch? I'm not going to help you if you don't want, but I would like to eat with you as friends."

"Whatever," I say.

She chuckles, "Awesome. I baked an apple pie for us. It's in my locker."

"Apple??"

She nods.

"I love apple pie! Totally." I like pies, who doesn't?

The warning bell rings and I tell Leslie to hurry. I dont want to be late.

We walk to the class and we sit. This time Leslie sits next to me.

....

Leslie is waiting for me near a tree. She has a red blanket on the ground with food on it. I see the delicious apple pie calling me.

"hey," I say.

"Sit sit!" Leslie says. I put the cane leaning against the tree and slowly sit next to her. She offers me a homemade sub sandwich. I take it and its good. We eat in silence which is good. I never seen Leslie shut up for a long time. Finally, she offers me a piece of pie with white fluffy whip cream on top.

"Glad you like it," she smiles. I am killing the pie. Its so good!

"thanks," I say. "It was pretty good. Everything was good."

She smiles, "Your welcome."

"Do you bake all the time?" I ask.

She nods, "Yeah. I work at the bakery close by."

"Cool," I say. So that answers my question.

Her gray hazel eyes sparkle, "I can bake you more cookies if you like and any kind."

"You dont have to,"

"It's okay. It helps me practice."

"I dont know, I guess if Lu needs help with something, I call you."

"Okay and who is Lu?" Leslie asks.

"My nurse and well she helps around with the house," I answer.