Part 2

I Used to Live There 

Part 2

Maya's music was interrupted by a notification on her phone. 

She gazed at the "Ashton: New Message" notification on her phone as she took her thumb off the side of the device to swipe the notification off of her lock screen and notification bar. After performing that action, she felt as if about fifteen pounds of concrete and bricks were removed from her back. 

She sat back in her chair as the bus stopped and the guy next to her got off of the bus. She still had several stops to go before she could meet up with her friend, Markie and her boyfriend, Cole, at some bar in Miami before Markie would take her to Cedar Key for the night before she would get on another bus to take her to a small national airport. 

Maya looked out the window at Madison, Florida's Greyhound station. It was small, mostly because this was the only thing around for miles. Madison proper was still a few miles out. 

A few minutes later, the driver announced that they would be stopping in Jacksonville for a few hours so the bus could refuel and be restocked with water, soap, typical simple hygiene things. 

Jacksonville was still a few hours away, so Maya settled in for a long ride and a long wait for lunch. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on, Maya!" 

Ashton shouted at his phone. He knew it wasn't the phone's fault, yet Maya still hadn't responded. Heck, she hadn't even looked at his message. His simple message of "where are u?" 

He threw his phone across the room before it landed on the couch. He eyed the device and watched as the couple's dog, Cookie, walked into the room. 

"Hey, Cookie." Ashton said. "Are you looking for mama?" 

He whimpered as if he was saying "yes."

Ashton sighed. "Me too, buddy, me too."