Chapter 3

Vine knew what was coming, though knowing how it would play out was a separate story. The Stoneteller had been pacing in front of the entrance to the cave of pointed stones, his eyes always cast to the ground and never rising, even when Vine's father would come to speak with him.

Currently Vine was with a group of his fellow hunters and a few of their to-bes. His own was beside him, prodding him in the side to inform him it was his turn to take a bite from the kill they were all passing around. He broke his observance to their leader and healer, only caring to take a bite before rebuilding the same stare as he passed it to the hunter beside him.

His to-be, Cloud, was looking at his mentor with worry. What had him so distracted?
He was aware there was a heavy gravity to the announcement from before, it weighed on the tribe like they had a boulder strapped to their bodies and they needed to pull it up the cliff, but it seemed everyone was eager to pull their share of the weight. It didn't concern him, though he wondered if it caused worry in his mentor, but he knew Vine well enough to understand that wasn't the case. His ears were too alert and his fur was too neat for him to be worried, he must have been in communion with what everyone else was feeling about the vision.

Cloud sighed as he turned his eyes to something else. He would have time to ask about it later in private. He had no intention of causing a rumor to spread that Vine might not be behind supporting the vision.

Did he want to go on the journey? Vine had asked himself this many times in his head. If he turned out to be chosen he wouldn't be surprised, although it raised other issues. His father was a heavy influence on the Stoneteller, a trusted advisor of some sort that the Stoneteller wouldn't listen to if he didn't have good intuition. He had only minor doubt he wouldn't be among those picked because of his father's involvement, but it made him all the more curious of who would accompany him, it brought up the first problem. He was a mentor, his to-be would have to come with him.

Vine and Cloud had been working together for only a few moons, but they seemed to trust each other more than similar relationships would allow. He had confidence and pride in his apprentice, but it did not justify risking his life on a journey with a foggy goal. Even so, he decided, if Cloud was to accompany him he would have no arguments to settle as everyone who mattered would know his worries.

Stoneteller continued his pacing, his speed only changing at every interruption or when he thought of a plan, though the increase of speed was a sign it foiled itself out in his mind only to be a failure. There were too many risks and not enough variables worth defending against them. He had already decided to send about four or five cats, their identities still needed some clarity but he had in mind a few options.

He also had requirements for this mission when it came to quantity and quality of the party that would be responsible for completing it. It would need to be a group big enough to take on any threat, and they needed to be decisive and intuitive of the tribe's wishes. Hot heads and cowards were not going to be given any of these roles, he needed leaders and brave cats to pursue their distresses. The strong and the weak would play a part, though everything in between would be all that mattered