Preparations

Broken

Chapter four

I slowly woke up to the sound of a piercing BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP screaming at me from my bedside table. I rose up in my bed and narrowed my eyes at the flashing, buzzing, sleep stealer telling me that the time was nine am. Why the fridgesicles did I put my alarm on for nine!? I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed and peered at myself through the hand held mirror on my bedside table. I groaned at my dark shadows and birds nest of hair, before flopping back on my bed and closing my eyes with a defeated sigh.

My eyes flicked open, widening by the second as I realised what day it was. I leapt up, screaming my lungs out and beating my hands on my chest. I jumped around, doing a little crazy dance before skipping downstairs, singing at the top of my lungs.

"HIIIIIIYA DAD!" I squawked, running over and hugging him.

"IM JUST IN THE ABSOLUTE MOST BESTESTESTESTEST MOOD EVARRRRR!"

He didn't get a chance to reply before I ran up to my room, gathering all of my hair products, makeup, nail polish, skin care stuff, dress and shoes and running out the front door, around the corner and knocking on Maddy's door.

Seconds later, she flung it open, nearly toppling me over with a bone crushing hug.

She squealed, yanking me behind her and dragging me up to her room, not caring that I was almost an hour early.

*three hours later*

"I. Am. Not. Putting. That. On. My. Face." I said backing away from Maddy slowly.

"Yes. You. Are." She trilled, flaring her nostrils at me.

For the last pew hours she has been torturing my face with 'foaming cleansers' and 'seaweed masks' to 'brighten and awaken' my skin. It all just itches!

She giggled and slapped it onto my face. "Ha."

I groaned, sitting down and letting her attack me.

After another hour of preening, primping and preparing, I had a solid mask on my face, a creamy hair mask in my blonde hair, lotion on my feet with socks, lotion on my hands with gloves, cuticle oil on my nails, tanning stuff slathered over my naturally pale skin and an itching need for a shower. Maddy finally dismissed me and I raced to the shower, washing all the sludge off and thoroughly cleaning every inch of my body.

Once I was done, I hopped out and Maddy pulled me into the makeup chair, prodding at my face for the next hour with sticks and more gooey lotions, then moving onto my hair for (yep, you guessed it) another hour and then putting more tanning stuff on my body and ordering me to pull on my dress and put a robe on top of it. I did as I was told and then sat back in the makeup chair, patiently waiting as she poked me for a good half hour with more sticks, brushes, lotions and potions and then, apparently, I was done. I looked at Maddy, who had done to herself all of the treatments I survived through as well. Her dark brown hair was twisted into a curly up do, complimenting her shimmery, midnight blue dress, with dark smoky eyes. I realised I hadn't looked at myself once the whole time she was getting me ready. She turned me around to look in the mirror. It wasn't one of those story book moments where I look in the mirror and don't recognise myself, though. It was definitely me. But, in saying that, I looked into the mirror and my jaw dropped. My hair had transformed from a limp, pale blonde mess to a cascading waterfall of golden blonde curls over one shoulder. My skin had transformed from being dull, blotchy and blemished to being flawless, rosy and glowing. My eyes were no longer the boring, dark blue eyes I was used to, they were now a brilliant turquoise, with long lashes and a golden shimmer adorning my lids, complimenting my pouty, nude-pink lips. I had a slim waist and a decent sized bust, accentuated by the mint green dress I had bought the day before. I brought my hand to my mouth, gasping.

"You're a miracle worker, Mads! I don't know how to thank you!" I exclaimed.

She grinned excitedly at me. "You look stunning."

I beamed. "So do you! I love your hair!"

"Girls! Time to go!" Maddy's mum called us from downstairs. It was 4pm by this time and it would take us an hour to get there for the meet and greet and to be settled into our private room, right next to the stage.

We carefully walked downstairs in our towering heels, smiling at Mr and Mrs Lennox as we descended.

"Oh, girls! You look beautiful!" She mad us stop for photos before ushering us outside.

"Ok, don't freak out too much, but we thought you girls deserved a treat." She tittered, gesturing to the sleek, black limousine parked at the bottom of the driveway.

We squealed, jumping up and down, bolting to the doors of the limousine and getting in. I took in the fancy details inside the car and nodded in appreciation.

"Bye, now girls! Have fun!" Mrs Lennox blew us a kiss, waving us off.

We exchanged excited glances before pouring ourselves a glass of alcohol free champagne, toasting to the great night ahead.