Chapter Thirteen - Alone in The Clearing

I'VE NEVER HAD MORE than a few sips of wine in my whole life. My parents took great care in teaching me the known effects of substances on my precious, adolescent brain, but I figured I'd waited long enough. Not like I intended to make it a habit.

Adam was with friends, and when he saw me, he all but pushed the other kid to pour my drink. I was just glad to be dealing with a familiar, friendly face. 

"What's in it?" I asked. The liquid was golden-red and fizzy.

"Some sprite, some rum, fruit punch" Adam said. "I don't know the rest but it's good."

Interesting combination. He witnessed my first taste and chuckled when I swallowed hard. I wasn't prepared for the burn lighting up my throat and stomach. But I could do more of this stuff. I nodded.

"You haven't done this often, have you?"

"Nope," I admitted, then took another swig. "Never been drunk."

"Oh boy. Take it easy with the cups, in that case. This thing's sneaky."

I scooted away for the next in line, and he joined me up on the terrace. Pretty sure it hit as early as the first cup. I was already having trouble keeping up with simple words. I made an effort when he shared how he moved here when his parents married.

"Where were you from?"

"Delaware, which is a strange place for Jen's mom to vacation in, but that's where they met. Not even at a resort, but at a pharmacy." Noticing my confusion, he explained his father was a pharmacist.

"What even is in Delaware?" I couldn't come up with any hallmark, like it barely existed in this country. I hoped it wasn't rude.

"Low taxes and businessmen," he said, and we burst out in cackles. And then he toasted my empty cup with his. "And lovely beaches."

I couldn't cover up my bitterness as I stared at the dancing crowd below. It was starting to gain mass. "Can't believe I'm trapped in a landlocked state. We could have gone for Delaware or—oh, nevermind. Dad's new job is here. Yay."

Adam seemed sad for me, and I could tell he understood the frustration. "I miss the waves, too. I still remember Slaughter Beach like the back of my hand."

"Oh my God." I slapped the railing. "You surf?"

"Surfed. It wasn't competitive like you. It'd be comparing a figure skater to someone who can just move on ice."

I turned to him, over the moon. Someone who knew the now-distant coastal world and missed it. What were the chances? "They were just local games. And Slaughter Beach? Why the name?"

The most accepted version of the story went back the horseshoe crabs and their migration on the beach each spring to spawn. It was a deadly journey. The uncertain tides could leave many of them vulnerable to predators and the elements. Must be a crude sight, a swath of eggs and shells littering the shore. Adam and I talked and talked over a refill, until I remembered I was forgetting a friend.

"I need to go, but thanks! We should, like, have a trip to Slaughter Beach together one day."

Adam's smile was sweet. "Sure thing, Addison."

I reunited with Sam, my third drink of the night in one hand. Thankfully, on my way back, Luc made himself scarce.

"She lives!" Sam threw her arms up, startling Spartacus in the way. "Long time no see."

I handed her the bowl and she dug in eagerly. I'd lost my appetite after the confrontation with Luc.

"It's a tough journey beyond the living room. Lots of traffic, too."