Chapter Fifteen - Healing

A pull surrounded my body, almost cupping my weight against gravity. I plummeted fast, a lurch pooling in my stomach. The effect was quickly cut off by strong arms securing around my waist. My hands fell on his shoulders, and I choked as sharp discomfort punched in. He steadied my stance.

"Easy," Luc said in my ear. His arms dipped slowly, laying me on the ground. "Sit. I need to see the damage before we leave."

I leaned back with his support, allowing me to rest against the bark. I was terrified of seeing another pair of eyes hidden in bushes, so much so that I wouldn't stare at anything else than his face. One twig cracked.

A quavery sound crept out of me. I started shaking, ready to give in but Luc crouched, his hand sliding over my cheek.

"Nothing's going to happen as long as I'm here." A smirk curved his lips to one side. "And in case you haven't noticed, I'm a little tougher to kill."

Easier to say than do. I swallowed and let my eyes immerse themselves in his. They looked like two golden-flecked pools of green up close, but oddly lighter than usual.

"Where does it hurt?" he asked.

"Everywhere..." I glanced down at my mangled arm. I'd been unable to guess what did this to me, but now that I saw it, it was obvious with the teeth marks that I'd been bitten. Most of the blood had dried.

"One of them bit you?"

"It stings like hell..."

"How are you feeling?"

I winced. "Could go for some pancakes."

Luc looked so stern I quit that without a peep. He had a brief look at each wound, from the busted shoulder to the back of my head, then stopped at my neck.

"Did it try to strangle you?" A thumb traced my skin, and I flinched, bumping into the tree trunk. He drew the hand away like he'd been electrocuted. "Shit. Sorry."

I cleared my throat, pushing away the memory of the creature's crushing weight. I could still feel the ghost of Luc's thumb right under my chin. "Yeah, it did. I found a branch and shoved it in an eye."

"Christ. I thought the blood on your face was yours."

Gross. Off the charts, jump-out-of-my-skin gross.

He found an injury at my temple I hadn't even felt, but it was still bleeding. There was no other surprise after that.

Luc's knees planted themselves in the soil. He leaned closer, and his palm hovered over my arm, right above the raw injury.

"I'm going to need you to hold still, and don't freak out."

Freak out, why? I stiffened, about to demand he answered my question before he did anything, but it was too late. His palm wrapped above my elbow. Heat burst along my skin, spreading steadily. I watched, mouth unhinged, as a soft, white light shone from him to me. It followed the warmth, enveloping me whole.

"Luc...?" I lost track, fascinated by our veins matching in brightness.

It was gentle. It was the feeling of safety and comfort, like going to sleep. My sore muscles relaxed.

His eyes were shut, his eyebrows knitted together. His lips were pressed in a hard line. The glow carved his features into dreamy arches. I had to be dreaming, but I've never felt so real in my dreams before.

Warm tingles amplified where it hurt most. It was weirdly pleasant. Two minutes or so later, the light retreated, and the heat dissipated.

I would have let it continue all night.