Chapter Twenty-Six - After-Party

We walked back inside the gym where I found Adam at the table with a soccer mate. We had some refreshments, then we returned to the dancefloor.

I tried to mentally put aside the whole story about the photos, but it put a damper on the night. Adam asked about what Luc could have wanted at a time like this. I made up some excuse about a forgotten book in his locker.

Sam, Jen, and Emma joined us with their dates, and we danced together when a storm of confetti rained over our heads.

When it started to die down, we left for the after-party. Once there, I caught a glimpse from the parking lot and got the concern. Not only was quite far from the school, but it was well tucked from the main road, bringing unpleasant flashbacks to my head.

There was a big bonfire lit up in the center, casting a bright orange glow on the grass. People had brought in kegs and solo cups. I hung out with the girls mostly, all the while mingling with a few classmates. In time, more kids flowed in from Homecoming, and things kicked in when the music blared. Everyone had begun celebrating and chugging down beer but I stayed away from it.

They all seemed to have a good time. I watched the bonfire and its flames stretching high up in the sky, releasing embers.

Cackles resounded in the clearing. I saw Anya trip to her grass-stained knees, spilling beer over her dress. She hiccupped, then her boyfriend helped her up. Half of the seniors were tipsy already.

I spotted Devin roaming around. She was taller than most girls without heels already, so she was easy to catch. A boy was talking to her, but she was paying attention to the bonfire, her forehead creased. What knocked the wind out of me was a passing, curly-haired figure behind them.

He was just going around with his camera like he didn't beat me hours earlier. Smiling, even. Snapping photos of the various distractions. Stopping by some groups.

Could it be that he was out for me like I feared?

I hid behind others before he'd notice me. Emma was nowhere to be found, and by dodging Chuck's surprise apparition, Anya cornered me.

"Riley!" She wiggled out of her date's arms, stumbling forward. Ah, crap. "Have you thought about joining us yet? You'd fit right in. You don't even need training like other recruits."

I waved at her date, who acknowledged me with a stern nod. He was too busy handling her to listen to whatever response I'd give. "Don't we have better to do at Homecoming than to talk about that? How are you enjoying yourself, Anya?"

She downed the remainder of her cup and beer spilled a little on her chin. "Fantastically. You? Why aren't you drinking?"

"Anya, come on," the boyfriend muttered, his hands on her shoulders.

But she leaned against the same tree I was, her head bending toward mine with hazy eyes. "Have you made your decision? Coach is breathing down my neck about this. He thinks... He thinks I can't prep the team good enough as it is. I haven't seen him do better so he can suck my ass."

I exchanged a wince with the guy beside us. He stepped off, drawing his hands back to himself. "Whatever, I got to take a piss."

He turned away just as I tried to plead for him to stay and help me with Anya's messy tirade, but he disappeared into the shadows. I had no choice but to stand her babbling. Somewhere in her mind, she imagined I'd agreed to join because she went into schedule details, describing competitions and teammates in a shouting voice.

I tried to redirect her by mentioning assignments and tests, but what did I expect? For a drunk teenager to care about those?

"How's Coach Langdon?" I chanced.