Chapter 1

Chapter 1

* * *

I clutch my textbooks from History, and maneuver my way through all the jumbled up students. It's like rush hour between classes. Endless halls of crowded students, all trying to move at once. I check my cheap little watch, while holding my books with my right hand.

If I don't get across the buildings in five minutes, I am going to be in so much trouble.

I try to push my way through the tight knitted students and manage to make it to the bridge that separates building A to building B. My next class, Biology, is on the other end of building B.

"Great," I mutter and walk across the bridge. I hate building B.

Its like the place where the cool people hang out. They literally own the building. Every part of the hallway will have at least one of their groups. And trust me, running into them is not pretty. It almost never is.

I make it across the bridge. It seems quiet . . . A little too quiet.

Glancing down at my watch again, I walk a little faster. I need to make it to bio in 2 minutes or I'm going to get a detention. I can't afford to waste my time in detention.

Walking more swiftly, I barely notice a group of girls and a couple jocks in front of me.

'Ah crap,' I think as I accidentally bump into a cheerleader on my way. Even if you touch a single hair on their head, they will flip out on you.

I scurry towards the hall, hoping nobody noticed that.

"Hey you!" Someone calls to me.

Sighing, I turn around and try not to look like I'm freaking out inside.

"Um, yes?" I ask nicely.

"Where do you think you're going, dork?"

In front of me, I see Maria, Julia, Brenda, and Claire. Top predators of the food cycle in our high school. A couple of jocks I've never really seen are standing by them.

"B-biology," I stutter.

Claire steps closer. "Really? You could've gone there without trudging your big ass through the hallway. You nearly knocked me over!" She states, pushing my shoulders harshly.

This causes me to stumble back, but I don't fall

I hear the rest of them snicker and laugh at me.

"I-I'm sorry." It was all I could think to say. "Can I please go? I'm going to be late."

"Oh. So now a freaking class is more important than us?" Claire shoves me harder and I slam into the locker.

I groan in pain. This is going to add yet another bruise on my body.

"Listen here, girlie", she scoffs. "We run this school. So mind your own little business, and watch it next time. This is a warning for today, bitch. Don't even think of breathing the same oxygen as us when you pass by, got it?" She says to me, crossing her arms and lifting her chin up like she's the queen of the world.

"Y-yes," I tell her, holding my books even tighter.

"Now, scram!" Claire pushes my books out of my grasp, sending them scattering all over the hallway.

I bend down and start picking up all my papers, and notebooks. Footsteps echo throughout the hallway, indicating they probably left.

A wet tear escapes my right eye. I brush it away quickly, scolding myself not to cry.