Chapter Seven

Day Five

Elizabeth

Fingertips drew idle patterns up and down Elizabeth's side; the touch hummed through her skin and beckoned her from the embrace of sleep. The scent of sweat and sex lingered in the air, a heady mix in the hazy morning light. Her eyelids fluttered open.

Henry's gentle smile greeted her, his hair still tousled from the night before. "Happy birthday."

Elizabeth groaned. She rolled onto her back, away from his warmth. With her hand pressed to her forehead, she stared up at the ceiling. "God, I'm old."

Henry propped himself up on his elbow. He slipped his other hand beneath the hem of her t-shirt and rested his palm against her stomach. "You're not old." He brushed his thumb back and forth, back and forth, a lulling caress. Then he rolled on top of her and dipped down, a growl to his voice as his hot breath tickled her ear. "And there are some advantages to being the birthday girl."

She quirked an eyebrow at him. A slight smile played on her lips. "Oh really?" She ran her hands up his sides and then smoothed them over the back of his tee. "What do you have in mind?"

His eyes glinted, and he roamed kisses down her neck. "Cards," he said, his voice muffled as he paused to suckle at her pulse. Her breath hitched. "Cake." He descended over her chest and dusted kisses through the cotton of her shirt. "Candles." He teased up the hem and exposed her tummy button. Then he dipped his tongue inside, and her stomach shivered. His gaze flicked up to meet her eye—a dangerous look. "Presents."

A slight tremor quivered through her voice as she said, "What kind of presents?"

"Very special presents," he said. And as his wet kisses slipped lower and lower, she squirmed and laughed beneath him.

Knock, knock, knock. Henry stopped, and Elizabeth propped herself up on her elbows. He glanced up at her, eyes white, just as Stevie called through, "Is it safe to come in?"

"Just a minute," Elizabeth called back. There was nothing safe about the position their children would find them in were they to walk through that door right now. She reached down, cupped Henry's jaw and offered him a soft smile. "Later."

He nodded and crawled up her body. His lips found hers, a promise—Later. Then he settled back against the headboard and drew her against his chest.

"Come in," she said.

Stevie nudged the door open, and with a slightly stilted gait, she carried a tray of croissants and steaming mugs of coffee inside. She kept her gaze on the cups, her brow furrowed with concentration as she fought to stop them from spilling. "I come bearing coffee and carbs."

"My favourite," Elizabeth said, and her stomach rumbled in agreement. "Thank you, baby."

"You're welcome." Stevie balanced the tray on the bench at the end of the bed, and then she grinned at Elizabeth. "Happy birthday."

At the same time, Alison gambolled into the room, Jason trailing paces behind. "Happy birthday, Mom!" She flung her arms around Elizabeth and pressed a kiss to her cheek before Jason leant in for a hug and kiss too.

"Happy birthday," Jason said. When he pulled back, he eyed Elizabeth's mussy hair before his gaze fell to the disheveled sheets. He raised his eyebrows at her and Henry. "Seriously? Isn't that a bit clichéd?"

"There's a lot to say for clichés," Elizabeth said, and Henry pressed his lips to the curve between her shoulder and neck whilst he wrapped his arms around her in a tight embrace.