Part 2

Seconds turned to minutes, minutes turned to hours and hours turned to days as I tried to make my way out of there.

Okay, so maybe it had only been a few minutes, but to me it felt like eternity. The argument that I had with Nathan seemed to have drained most of the energy I had and that left me looking like a zombie. I, being the clumsy girl I am, just had to get my hair stuck into branches and I wouldn't have been surprised if a bird mistook my hair for its nest.

The memories still hadn't left my mind and I could do nothing to stop them from playing back in my mind. I remember a five year old looking at her parents from the stairs, wondering why they were talking loudly with one another when it was the middle of the night. I remember her mother finding her there and then yanking at her arm, yelling at her to go back to bed. I remember that little girl covering her ears at night, trying to drown out her parents voices as they yelled her name. Constantly saying that she was nothing but a mistake. I was nothing but a mistake.

My thoughts were thankfully disrupted when my eye caught sight of something a little ways away. Quickly, I made my way to the clearing and sure enough, there was a path leading through the trees. I smiled in triumph but it soon disappeared when I had realised that I had no idea which way to go. "Now where do I go?" I groaned in frustration and stomped my foot like a child. Looking both ways just got me confused since they both looked the same. Just a path with trees on both sides. Sighing, I closed my eyes. "If nothing goes right, go left." I said to myself as I turned left and began walking down the seemingly never-ending path.

As I walked, I began to really take notice of my surroundings. It was so beautiful that it seemed unreal. The air felt fresh and sweet as it blew the loose strands of my hair into my face. I could now hear the distant sounds of birds chirping as they flew by and the soft crunch of the leaves under my feet. The trees around me were a jumble of red, amber and golden. It was breathtaking and brought a small smile to my face.

I put aside my worries and let myself enjoy the beauty around me; it almost seemed unreal. Getting caught up in it, I completely forgot to look forward. Next thing I knew, I walked straight into a wooden pole and was snapped out of my trance.

If I thought this was a dream, that pole certainly proved me wrong.

"That hurt." I groaned as I rubbed my nose which was now red. "Stupid piece of wood." I grumbled underneath my breath as I glared at it. It was then that I noticed that there was a fork in the path and the wooden pole had arrows on top of it that pointed to either side. Both arrows had something carved onto it and I looked closely to read it. One read Right, while the other read left.

I stared at it blankly for a while before I exploded. "You have got to be kidding me! As if I didn't know that already!" I kicked the pole in rage but that only caused me to hurt myself as I was wearing slippers.

So, there I was hopping on one foot and holding the other. If it was somebody else in my place then I would have probably laughed at them but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Moments later, I heard the distant sound of a bunch of footsteps from my left. My eyes grew wide, and for some unknown reason, I made a mad dash for the trees. I remained hidden behind a large tree and waited to see who was coming.

The footsteps got closer but I still didn't see anyone in sight. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion as I figured that I should have been able to see them by now. Movement caught my eye and I lowered my gaze only to have my eyes bulge out of their sockets.

I definitely had to be hallucinating. I rubbed my eyes and looked again but they were still there. As they passed me I began to count. "One. Two. Three. Four. Five. Six..." I could have sworn there were supposed to be seven of them. As if reading my thoughts, the seventh one came stumbling behind and caught up to the others. "Okay, I've definitely lost my mind." I muttered to myself.