Breathin'

Friday had finally come to a close. I let a sigh of relief escape me as the bell rang, signaling the end of the first week of a new semester. I packed up my supplies, carrying my current art project to the jeep before tossing my bookbag in as well and heading back inside to use the bathroom before making the 40-minute commute back to my house.

I went into the closest bathroom, the one by the art room, seeing that it was flooded with people. I had just decided to find another when I noticed a girl whom I'd had all of my classes within the corner having what looked like a panic or anxiety attack, maybe from everything that was going on in the small, crowded room.

I carefully approached her, attempting not to startle the small girl in front of me.

"Hey, are you okay? What's wrong?" I asked softly, moving her hair out of her face so that I could see her.

"L-loud..." she answered quietly, burying her head in her arms, sobbing, and rocking herself back and forth.+

"Cover your ears," I told her calmly. She listened and looked up to watch me, still crying. I stood up and looked up at everyone in the bathroom,

"Everyone, out!" I told them. They shared mumbles of confusion, some of spite. "Now!" I told them.

"Um... and who are you? You can't just tell us to get out," one of the girls said over everyone's mumbling.

"It doesn't matter who I am. What matters is that you all walked right past a poor girl having a panic attack and did absolutely nothing. Go find another bathroom or go home before I do something about you all myself!"

I was surprised when they finally all listened and left the bathroom. I sighed as the last person left and allowed myself to slide down the wall to sit next to the small girl next to me. I relaxed my demeanor,

"Hey..." I began, gently rubbing her shoulder, "...you can uncover your ears now." She didn't listen, I wasn't sure she heard me over her distressed breathing and cries.

I cautiously placed my hands on her smaller ones, holding them gently and pulling them down from her ears. She looked around and her breathing slowed a bit, tears still falling down her cheeks.

"It's okay, they're gone. We can wait for the halls to clear before we leave, okay?" I suggested. She nodded, looking at me.

"Are you okay?" She nodded once, chewing on a necklace she was wearing. I noticed a bracelet she was wearing, it read: Please be patient with me, I have Autism.

I gave her a small smile. She must have had sensory overload with all of the people filling the bathroom so quickly. I was immediately thankful for my years of experience with people with autism working in a therapeutic unit for children and adolescents with special needs.

"I'm Lauren."

"I am Ariana. I am 17. I have Autism," She said in a script-like manner as if it was something she had memorized and most likely had.

"It's nice to meet you, Ariana. That's a very beautiful name," I said with a smile. She looked up at me for a minute with a look as if she was anticipating something negative.

"Have people been giving you a hard time?" I asked sadly, knowing that most people probably didn't react positively to her greeting.

"Yes, they are not nice..." she said sadly, looking at the floor, tearing up.

"I'm sorry they treated you not nice," I explained.

"It is not your fault," Ariana responded, sucking on her necklace.

"Do you live by yourself?" She nodded,

"By yourself?" I nodded,

"Yes, but I live off campus with my girlfriend in our house, do you live in a dorm here?" She nodded,