Prologue

We were always together. It was uncannily unnatural. Two people of the opposite genders, closer to each other than they were to their siblings or parents. 

 We were always together. At least we had been. 

It was less than a year ago when I felt the change. Even though everyone said nothing was wrong and Alex was fundamentally the same, I knew. After all, we had been friends for almost all of our lives. We played and hung out every single day.

His parents joked that we were like a married couple but that was wrong. Our relationship wasn't like that. We were friends, yet more than that. We were Alex and Layla. 

When we graduated from Westkey Middle School and enrolled in Stonewall, Alex started to drift away. Every day he talked to me less, confided in me less, and I could feel the change so deeply.

He had always been the more sociable one of the two of us. But he never failed to keep me as his top priority. He always cancelled events with his friends if he had arranged something with me before and he always kept his schedule clear in case I needed him for something. He was my friend. My only friend.

Alex was always the one that comforted me when life was difficult. The stone pillar I could rely on, the shoulder to cry on, the one that always knew the perfect words to say when I was feeling miserable, angry, frustrated...hurt.  He was the one that was always there, the one beside me, the one who pushed me to exceed my limits. The one who knew who I truly was. 

The one who pushed past the shields that I put up. The one who knew the true me. 

But now, I guess things have changed. 

Nothing is like before.