The Pauper and the Prince

New kids.

That's what Verrick heard. There were new kids in town.

New people were something to the the town of Beaumont. Their place was a close knitted open minded community who welcomed strangers with open arms. The MacArts were a welcoming bunch of folks who seemed to adopt stragglers who had wandered too far into their lands. Raff's father was a wealthy respected man. Standing at 6 feet 5 inches tall, he was a man who was feared and respected by many. He had three childeren, Neela, the meathead Raff and their oldest son, Fenlir.

Ah, yes!

Fenlir was an awesome guy who I looked up to. We were close friends when we were young. But just like how Raff and I had grown apart, the distance between Fenlir and I seemed to have grown each day. Fenlir was like an older brother to me, he was the brother I have always wanted. He was a level headed teenager compared to the others when he was only seventeen. He possessed an intimidating yet welcoming aura whenever I approached him to ask about childish things like why is the moon cut in half sometimes and why the sky is blue. 

"Verrick," Fenlir sighs as he look at me with his grayish soulful eyes. I would stare at his eyes, drawn to the deep emotions that spiraled inside his, curious about the knowledge that seemed to be possessed by those beautiful eyes, calling out to my soul and as I look closer and closer, those gray tinted windows would suddenly close and I wake up from the trance.

"Verrick," Fenlir says again.

"Yeah!" I respond still looking at Fenlir hoping to catch a glimpse of his eyes wanting to fall into the comfortable trance again.

"Have you heard about the Legend of the Moon and the Man?" Fenlir asks.

He did. He had heard about the silly legend from Raff when they were out in the woods camping but he was too distracted looking at Neela while Raff was busy telling lores and legends to the eager impressionable minds of his fellow camp mates.

"Nope!" Verrick lied

"Well," Fenlir pauses "The legend begins with..." 

Fenlir's words passes through Verrick's ears, not bothering listening to the older boy's story. Instead, he focuses his attention staring at Fenlir's eyes. If only he could stretch out his puny arms and take hold of what lies inside Fenlir's eyes. Eyes filled with knowledge that Verrick seemed to be craving for. 

"BEEP!"

Damn Air! Verrick thought. Spoiling his daydreaming.

Verrick was now standing in front of his full body mirror, his face a little bit too close to the glass. He looked at his eyes, and all he could see were bright blue orbs of nothingness. Nothing like Raff's older brother eyes which was filled with so much wisdom, Verrick thought.

He wasn't gay but Fenlir's eyes was just too alluring to him that he couldn't resist being attracted to. Maybe he was gay for Fenlir's eyes. That's something! 

"Damn, here I was thinking my schoolboy crush with Fenlir was gone." Verrick sighed.

Grabbing his school bag, Verrick rushed downstairs not wanting to keep Air waiting. His bestfriend wasn't the patient type. 

"Bye Dad!" Verrick shouted as he grabbed his lunch and headed straight outside.

"Bye Mr. Mason!" Air shouted as we drove away from my humble two story detached home. My father wanted us to live a simple life. He told me that would be something my mother would have wanted for both of us. 

My dad was a lawyer so we weren't exactly short on cash but dad made sure that I wasn't a spoiled brat and I would grow up to become a grateful boy.