Prologue

A/N: This is not my first story but it looks like it's the first story I'll actually keep updating. I like this story better than my others because with those I was just writing for the sake of writing and with this I did it for fun so updating will actually interest me. My cover is kind of crap (I made it in fifteen mintes) but hopefully the story speaks more for itself  than the cover does. Hope you enjoy reading.

Prologue

What do you do when everyone you’ve ever loved gives up on you? How do you cope? How do you function? Does this mean that they no longer love you anymore? Or are they doing this because they love you so much? Is it unfair of them to not help me? Or more unfair on them to help me? All of these thoughts had been circling in my head all day long. Everyone’s reactions started to come back to me as I sat down on a park bench.

My parents.

“We’re tired, Chantelle!” My mom screamed as she cried. “We are tired. I don’t have the time, the youth or the energy to be trying to help someone who throws my effort away all the time and I can’t keep arguing. It’s not good for my health.”

“I can change. Just let me stay.” I pleaded.

“Look Chantelle,” My dad said as he handed me my trash bag. “Take your stuff. You don’t want to make this any harder than it already is. We’ve struggled to help you while you made no effort. It’s time you struggled while we made no effort. If you’re short of a meal or some clothes, you can stop by … but you can’t stay here anymore. You’re too much of a bad influence on your brothers and sisters.”

“I’m not, so why can’t I stay? Huh, why not? Y’all aren’t shit for doing this. What kind of fucking parents are y’all? I don’t even need motherfuckers like you in my life trying to tell me-”

“I’ll show you to the door now.”

My friends.

I dialled in Katrina’s number and waited for her to answer. I hadn’t really talked to her since I had to start laying low but we had known each other for years so three months didn’t mean shit.

“Hello, who is this and why are you calling my phone?” She asked.

“Hey,” I mumbled confused. “… It’s Chantelle. Wait, how come you didn’t recognize my number? I haven’t changed it or anything.”

“Don’t take it personal but … I can’t be friends with you anymore.” She mumbled. “All of us were mad worried ‘bout you but you wouldn’t return our calls. We thought you were dead and shit and then we heard what you did, for him. Really? For that dude of all people?!”

“Who’s that?!” I heard Gina shout in the background.

“Chantelle.” She tried whispering but I still heard her.

“That bitch?” She laughed. “End the call, girl.”

Damn, I didn’t know they were that mad. That shit actually hurt; I wanted to start crying but couldn’t bring myself while still talking to her.

“Listen Chan, delete my number please. No hard feelings.”

“Give me one more-”

Dial tone. I guess she got tired of hearing that phrase too. There was only one other person left to call even though we hadn’t left off on good terms.

My ex-boyfriend.

He had to help me out; I mean he got me into this mess in the first place. I deleted his number so I had to scroll down my call history. It rang and then cut off immediately so I kept calling until he picked up.

“What the fuck do you want?” He asked. He sounded like he just woke up.

“A place to stay.” I said.

He laughed but I wasn’t joking. I put aside my pride to ask him and he has the audacity to laugh? From that moment onwards, I knew he was only going to waste my time so I hanged up.

So at this moment in time, I was practically a homeless, jobless and broke drop out at the age of seventeen with no one to depend on. It felt like this was the worst point of my life but I just knew it would only get worse from here. I don’t know how; I just knew. Maybe it was something in the air.