8. hayden

New Message!

            going 2 mcdonalds want anything?

            Message Sent!

            Nah, I’m okay.

            New Message!

            k i’ll get you a big mac

            Message Sent!

            But I don’t have money, dude.

            New Message!

            well shit, bro, i’m not askin 4 ur money. i’ll come get ya, my treat.

            Message Sent!

            But I don’t wanna go to the one on Douglas.

            New Message!

            don’t be picky.

            I sighed, but shrugged nonetheless. My eyes motioned back toward my screen, reading Theodore’s message a second time. I honestly had no idea what to name the book or which traits of the characters I wanted to change; I just wanted to do something instead of letting him decide everything for himself. I decided to think about it while at McDonald’s, they have free Wi-Fi. I continued to chat to Theodore a couple minutes afterward, nothing really relative to the story. I told him I’d make sure to get back to him once I figured it out, and then he said something I wish he hadn’t.

            Theodore: right, well, go on your date and message me back when you have the info.

            I felt a sudden surge of defense spring inside me. It wasn’t a date, and I told him exactly that, but Theodore didn’t seem to care either way.

            Theodore: sounds like a personal problem. well, i’m leaving, bye.

            Yeah, it was personal, but a problem? I had never really thought about it as a problem, more like a puzzle I can’t seem to solve because Alfie’s hiding the last piece. Maybe it is a problem, but saying it’s a problem gives severity and calls for an immediate solution; something I don’t have. I felt angry, frustrated really, that Theodore managed to get me overthinking about this whole situation. Nevertheless, I knew we were walking on thin ice with our partnership, so I made sure not to let my mixed feelings show.

            Me: See ya. Have fun :). 

            A couple minutes after Theodore stopped messaging me, there was a knock at the door. Not the front door, my door. I knew it wasn’t Nancy because she had to go to her sister’s wedding, and I knew it wasn’t my mom because she always works late on Saturday, and I definitely knew it wasn’t my dad because not even he could get pass the front door, so there was only one person left with a knack for picking locks.

            “Open the door,” He said impatiently, “I’ve already seen you naked.”

            He hasn’t, by the way.

            “It’s unlocked,” I replied.

            “No it’s not.”

            “Then unlock it.”

            Sure enough, after a couple shakes and grunts, the door was unlocked and in came Alfie in very unusual attire. He was wearing a suit with an undone tie that didn’t match the rest of him by any means. I stared at him confused, despite the fact he seemed completely oblivious to the fact he was wearing trousers to an American fast food restaurant.