Young Love

Qui-Gon Jinn walked through the small house and found a comfortable spot to rest on the steps where he could watch the activity in the courtyard.

Obi-Wan was training with Satine, ostensibly teaching her some self-defense moves.

First Obi-Wan would demonstrate, then Satine would imitate him and he would stand close. He tapped her leg with his foot to correct her stance or touched her waist to position her at the correct angle even though, to Qui-Gon's practiced eye, her form was perfectly fine.

Then Obi-Wan would pretend to attack and Satine would counterattack. She blocked his punch with a forearm and grabbed his collar with the other hand, at the same time moving her leg to sweep his feet out from under him. The two went crashing down onto the grass.

Satine's laugh drifted over the courtyard and Obi-Wan said, "Good try, but next time try not to lose your balance!"

He stood up and gave her a hand, "Come on, try it again."

Qui-Gon chuckled softly to himself.

Young Kenobi was the perfect Padawan. He excelled in lightsaber technique, was adept at several languages and could hold his own with experiences diplomats, and he knew the Jedi Code almost better than Qui-Gon. Okay, he definitely knew the Code better than Qui-Gon.

Over the past few weeks his studious, composed Padawan had transformed back into a distracted, clumsy teenager. The perfect Padawan would turn into a flustered mess with one smile from Satine. Qui-Gon secretly found the whole thing highly amusing.

Obi-Wan came bounding up the steps and came to an abrupt stop, nearly tripping on the last step. Clearly, he hadn't realized the Qui-Gon was watching them.

"Good morning, Master," Obi-Wan greeted, recovering admirably.

"Good morning, Padawan," Qui-Gon answered.

"Satine's moves are improving," he stated, before Obi-Wan could escape.

Obi-Wan nodded, "Yes, she's doing well."

"That last throw looked painful, Padawan. Do you need some ice?" Qui-Gon asked innocently.

Obi-Wan cut his eyes at him. "No, Master."

"Are you sure? You took quite a fall," Qui-Gon said, really laying on the concern.

Obi-Wan openly glared at him now but Qui-Gon only smiled to himself.

"Would you like some tea, Master?" Obi-Wan asked, ever the diplomat.

"Yes, thank you," Qui-Gon said, finally letting Obi-Wan escape into the house.

He knew he should stop teasing his apprentice but it was too easy. Obi-Wan, who could give any Jedi Qui-Gon knew a run for their money with a lightsaber or in hand-to-hand, was clearly letting Satine beat him.

Soon Obi-Wan returned with a cup of tea for Qui-Gon and bottles of water for himself and Satine. They resumed a somewhat subdued version of their training exercises while Qui-Gon sipped his tea.

Ah, young love.