S E V E N

Sabrina was terrified.

It was inhumanly possible for Zach to just vanish into thin air. And there's absolutely no way that he could have just ran from the couch without her noticing.

As she laid down on her bed, she decided to weigh the options.

One, he could be a ghost. Two, he could be some sort of angel or demon that's able to disappear when they want. Three, he could just be a really, really good magician.

She groaned in frustration. Those ideas were terrible. She didn't believe in the supernatural. And she doubted magicians could vanish right in front of someone's eyes without using some sort of prop.

She was just about to conjure up some new ideas when a voice suddenly said, "You know, you're more perceptive than I thought you were."

She was so close to letting out a scream before Zach shushed her. "Be quiet. You don't want your Mom coming in here now do you?"

Her heart was beating against her rib cage and she couldn't stop herself from hyperventilating. "H-How'd you get in here?"

"Calm down, Sabrina. I'm not going to hurt you."

She kept her defenses up. "What are you?"

"What am I?" Zach paused before smirking at her. "I think the real question is, where do I come from?"

He laughed at Sabrina's confused face. He sat down on the bed facing her, a pleasant smile on his face.

"You see, Sabrina. I didn't expect you to be questioning me so soon. I thought we'd have more time together."

"What are you talking about?"

"Listen, we have fun don't we?" he asked, completely ignoring her question.

She nodded because well, it was true.

"And we're best friends?"

She nodded again.

"And you like me, right?"

She gazed down at her lap, embarrassed as she nodded a third time.

"Then you've got to be careful, Sabrina. Because other people can't see me. You're the only person who can."

"Why? How come I'm the only one?"

He smiled softly as he tapped her forehead. "Because, Sabrina. I'm not real."

She inhaled sharply as the boy in front of her started to dematerialize.

"You made me up."