Nineteen

I woke up in a dark cell, the smell of sweat and dirt filled my sinuses. I sat up immediately looking around, observing the area I was in. I found myself in a blue tinted room with an incredibly uncomfortable bed chained to the wall to support it.

Looking down at myself, my hands were bound together by small metal cuffs, which were attached to a chain that was secured to my waist. Adorned upon my body was an unappealing orange jumpsuit, silently praying it was temporary.

"Amanda?!" I hear a voice sternly whisper.

"Ashton?" I call back pressing my entire body up against the bars keeping me from entering the world in which I'm looked upon as a disgrace.

"Are you okay?" He asks, his voice doesn't sound to far away so it brings me comfort to hear him so close.

"I'm fine. . . I suppose." I pause choking on my words. "I'm not hurt."

"Are you emotionally alright?" He questions softly.

"No." I say after a long pause. I thought about how disappointed my mother would be if she were alive, along with how ashamed my father would have been calling me his daughter.

"I'm a criminal. I created massive destruction for no essential purpose." I explain, letting my tears fall and I rest my hands on the door bars.

"You're not the one who killed someone." Ashton muttered, hardly audible.

"I'm still imprisoned for doing something unlawful."

Before Ashton could reply, a loud clang filled the room causing me to jump and cautiously back away from the bars.

"Ashton Irwin." A husky voice calls, I was genuinely worried about what was about to occur so I returned to my original spot at the door.

The man who had entered the room wasn't tall, but wasn't short either. His hair was a black colour with a hint of red, I was unsure. His suit fit him quite nicely, I did have to admit he was attractive.

"I'm Michael Clifford. I'm your lawyer." He says reaching through the bars to Ashton's bound hand, shaking it quickly.

"You must be Amanda Carter." He says, approaching my cell. I back away from the bars to keep my distance from him. He seemed like a nice person, the only thing keeping me away from him was the fact that he was associated with my captivity.

"You don't need to be afraid." He chuckles reaching his hand through the bars signaling he would like to shake my hand.

I stay where I was without acknowledging him, staring intensely at him. I couldn't help but study his features, his dark hair complimenting his fair skin. His green eyes, piercing but captivating. His lips full and pink.

"Well, I'll be taking each of you to my office to discus how your trial will fall together. Amanda-"

"Carter." I correct him.

"Ms. Carter," he starts, hesitating with the correction. "I will take you first seeing your crime was a little more. . . humane." I scoff at his statement, a little offended at his expense.

I just shake my head and refuse to step forward as my cell was opened. He motioned for me to step forward, I shake my head in refusal once more.

"Alright, then I will take Ashton first. You will have to talk to me after that." I just shrug and place myself on the bed nearest me. The creak of the metal bars signaling I was enclosed in this dark room once more.

All I could do is wait.

ASHTONS POV.

I hear the metal bar close to Amanda's cell, footsteps nearing my cell following shortly after.

"Ready?" Michael asks. I nod in agreement looking over at Harry who shakes his head in disapproval. I press on, ignoring his disagreement.

I was escorted by two very muscular cops, tall and intimidating. Michael was leading me through the hallway, every step closer to the office means a step farther from Amanda, alone and scared.

Every corner I turned Harry was there, leaning himself against the wall, scoffing at my appearance. I was ashamed with my disobedience towards my best friend, my brother but I knew one of us had to go so I chose to make things easier for Amanda.

We reached Michael's office, after escaping the never ending maze of a hallway. It was unexpectedly small. The color of the room was utterly boring, the same cream colour as the hallway.

"What do you want." I sternly say, placing myself in the chair I front of his desk, making myself comfortable.

"Well Ashton, I see here you have schizophrenia." He states looking down at a Manila folder with paperwork placed inside it, which I assume holds my medical records and criminal record.

"Sure."

"And you murdered someone, 4 people to be perfectly clear."

"Harry told me to do it, he explained to me how and why. He told me it was okay." I explain, getting a little defensive.

"Do you do everything Harry tells you?" He questions placing his hands on his desk and foldin them with authority.

"Do you do everything the law tells you?" I retaliate.

"We are focusing on you." He says rolling his eyes, clearly effected by my question.

"Doesn't mean I want to answer."

"It would help your case immensely if you cooperated. If this doesn't unfold like id like it to, you will either spend the rest of your days locked in a cell, or sent to the electric chair for your crimes. If I can plead insanity, you will be sent to Armacham which isn't half as bad as what lies in here for you. So I request you do your part to help, or receive fatal consequences."

"Either way I'll be locked In a cell for the rest of my life." I huff.

"But one way leads to a possible chance of death." Michael sighs.

"Who says I won't off myself in that mad house, or die of starvation."

"Well, there's nothing that will stop you from that, but I would hope you would choose the best option for yourself. For Amanda."

I pause to think about his statements. His tone if voice shows he really does care about the results of my crimes, he clearly doesn't want me to die and I couldn't wish that upon myself either. Only one thing was keeping me from answering any of his questions with respect.

"What's going to happen to Amanda?"

"I fear she suffers the same fate, she will either spend her days here and receive no mental hospitalization or mental help, or she will be sent to Armacham to receive the help she needs."

"What do I need to do?" I finally whisper after a long period of silence between Michael and I.

"Here is how I would like this to work."

Lol I'm terrible. Yay michael is a hot lawyer. I hope you all enjoy this. The song eyes on fire by blue foundation reminds me a lot of this story. And today is my birthday(: anyway enjoy! -h

-edited-