Chapter 40: These Midnight Things, happens all the time

Really?!

Was it REALLY 10:46 already?!

Cinderella silently cursed to herself.

Where had the night gone so fast? And she sure did have the night of her life, and a good ol' sewing machine to top it all off.

Of course, she had asked for the sewing machine, but she never thought of how she was  ever going to convey such a massive chunk of metal.
First, to school. Then, to the Ladies' Wing AND THEN up to her room.

Good God, why had she stayed out so late?

It was totally worth it though.

"We're here, lady. That'll be $20." The driver turned to her.

"20?! From a club to this place?! It's a 15-minute walk."

"Wasn't a 15-minute walk when you desperately needed a ride."

"I'll give you ten." She slapped 10 dollar greens into his open palms.

"Who the hell do you think this is for?"

Cinderella bared her teeth. "You think you can exploit because it's almost midnight."

"Exactly, lady. Exactly how cheap can you get? You would have ordered an Uber. I would love to see if they'd put up with your load of crap."

"Well, screw you!" She hauled the sewing machine with all her might and scrambled out of the car.

It surprised her that the driver didn't holler after her, still she could hear him silently mutter a poor bitch into the night.

Ignoring the angry roar of his engine, she prayed within herself that they would let her in. With everything that had been happening in just 2 months of the school's resumption, security just had to be tight.

"Where from?" The cold bark of the school's head security bit her ear.

She eyed Buzz Lightyear warily. In the middle of the night, she had no time for this. And the weight of the sewing machine was crushing her poor, cold fingers.

Was that a breath of winter?

"I asked you a question." He barked again.

"I...uh..." she bit her lip. "Traffic?"

"Traffic. By night time."

"I...um...went to 21st Century street, you see. I had to pick up this machine. There was traffic from there to Fox Plaza and I had to trek. I've been trekking since evening."

"You had to trek?" Buzz looked unconvinced. "From Fox Plaza."

"It's true. I'm so very tired. It's the cold that's making my sweat not to pop out." Nitwit.

"You kids." Buzz snarled and took a step back, clicking on his remote control and allowing the gates to open up. "Your excuses are getting worst by the day."

Cinderella hissed rather than answer. Her biggest dilemma would be walking yet again, in the frosty night, with a 13kg sewing machine to the Girls' hostel, where she had to meet YET ANOTHER guard AND Mrs. Potts (who never seemed to sleep) in charge of the girls' hostel.

Long story short and in a little over 30 minutes, she had successfully climbed up the stairs leading to her dormitory.

Stupid 3rd Floor, Room H. It was another journey altogether.

She knew she was already red in the face and she had cursed all the way there. Next time, surely, they'd have to plan this better.

As she tried to start walking again, she became fully aware of the tint stature that stood in front of her.