Never give up

Drowning! 

I woke up underwater, deep underwater, and this was my first conscious thought. Cold. Dark. Where was the surface? I kicked in all directions, trying to find my way up. I twisted and turned, and then I saw it: a light. Dim, pale, and far away.

  Instinctively I shot for it, and quickly noticed that the water around me was growing brighter. That had to be the surface, the sun. But how could the sun be ... square? I must be seeing things. Maybe some trick of the water. Who cares! How much air do I have left? Just get to it. Swim!   

         My lungs ballooned, little bubbles escaping from my lips, racing me for the distant light. I kicked and clawed the water like a caged animal. Now I could see it, a ceiling of ripples coming closer with each desperate stroke. Closer, but still so far away. My body ached, my lungs burned.   Swim! SWIM!  CrackMy body writhed as a sudden jolt of pain shot from toes to eyes.

 My mouth opened in a choked scream. I reached for the glow, grabbing for breath, for life. I exploded into the cool, clean air. I coughed. I choked. I wheezed. I laughed. Breathing. For a moment, I just savored the experience, closing my eyes and letting the sun warm my face. But when I opened my eyes, I couldn't believe them. The sun was square! I blinked hard. The clouds, too? Instead of round puffy cotton balls, these thin, rectangular objects floated lazily above me. you're still seeing things, I thought. You hit your head when you fell off the boat and now you're a little dazed. But did I fall off a boat? I couldn't remember. I couldn't remember anything, in fact; how I got here, or even where "here" was.

 "Help me" I shouted, scanning the horizon for a ship or a plane or even a speck of land. "Please, somebody! Anybody! HELP!" All I got was silence. All I could see was water and sky. I was alone. Almost. Something splashed inches from my face, a flash of tentacles and a thick, black and grayish head. I yelped, kicking backward. It looked like a squid, but square like everything else in this strange place. The tentacles turned to me, opening wide. I gazed right into a yawning red mouth ringed with white razor teeth. "Get outta here!" I hollered mouth dry, heart pounding, I splashed clumsily away from the creature. I didn't have to. At that moment, the tentacles closed, blasting the squid in the other direction.I floated there, frozen, treading water for a few seconds, until the animal disappeared into the deep. That when I let out a long, throaty, tension-draining "ughhh" I took another deep breath, then another, then a whole lot more. Finally, my heart settled down, my limbs stopped jerking, and, for the first time since I woke up, my brain switched on.

 "Okay," I said aloud. "You're way out in a lake or ocean or whatever. No one's coming to save you, and you can't tread water forever."  I did a slow, 360-degree turn, hoping to see some thread of coastline I'd missed before. Nothing. In desperation I tried one last scan of the sky. No planes, not even a thin white trail. What sky doesn't those trials? One with a square sun and rectangle clouds. The clouds. I noticed they were all moving steadily in one direction, away from the rising sun. Due west. "As good as anywhere," I said, giving another deep sigh, and started swimming slowly west. It wasn't much to go on, but I figured the wind might help me along a little bit, or at least wouldn't slow me down. And if I went north or south, the breeze might slowly blow me in arc so I'd end up swimming in circles. I didn't know if that was really true. I still don't. I mean c'mon, I'd just woken up, probably with some kind of massive head injury, at the bottom of an ocean, and was trying really, really hard not to end back there. Just keep going, I told myself. 

Focus on what's ahead. I began to notice how weird my "swimming" was; not the stroke, pause, stroke motion, but the sense of gliding across the water with my limbs along for the ride. Head injury, I thought, trying not to imagine how serious that injury might be.One good thing, I noticed, was that I didn't seem to be getting tired. Isn't swimming supposed to be exhausting?