Prologue

March 24, 2027

Hey, Melanie.

I don’t exactly know why I am postcard-ing this to you, even though I perfectly know your e-mail address. Well, it’s nice to see something in your post office box, right? I hope I’m not a bother or anything. I picked the best postcard I’ve ever seen and it’s related to our first webtoon fandom! Ain’t it adorable?

Anyways, how’s life? I know you feel lonely there in Canada (no friends aw) and here I am, trying to make you feel like I am beside you. Like, I am fucking jealous of you. You have all the snow and maple syrup and Alaska. I have all the stress of thesis and research materials here. Right now, I would definitely like to go to Canada by foot. I am so fucking desperate to get out of here. Oh yeah, if you feel lonely and want to play with me, I know some MMORPG which is so fucking adorable and I want you to download it (gonna send it to you via chat).

Have you changed? I mean, we haven’t seen each other for at least 10 years and haven’t talked for more or less 10 to 11 months. I miss you so much, but I think you’ve matured and might find this clingy letters coming to you, annoying. But, I just want you to give me an answer, anything can do, at least it’s from you. I’m expecting something in return, okay? This super adorable postcard costs a shit ton.

Your dear human friend - not some animal in Canada,   

Lynne