▪️{PART 18}▪️

The dark red blood stained the Kings handkerchief, as the burn in his throat inflamed. He coughed again into the white napkin, and it felt like his lungs would break.

He knew what this meant, no matter how much it pains him to see what's happening to him.

This has been an ongoing cycle for weeks
now, and it's taken a tole on him.
He is the king of England, one of the most powerful countries. He was a leader of the greatest monarchy's that have ever lived. His country looked to him for what they could not find in themselves. Prosperity, Hope, Power.

The king has lived to see many King's rise and fall in his day. The death of any monarch brings panic, uncertainty, and especially weakness for the transition. Especially if the death of a king was detected before hand. The news of the Kings illness would spread like wildfire.

Not only to his people, but to his enemy's.
The King would not allow that to happen. He watched his father for months wither away because of his depleting health. Once he heard the news that his father was ill, it was like time was ticking. It's odd to see people prepare him for being the next King, when his own father was still the
King was still alive.

His father still had authority, but in the dark he was being prepared to take on his role.

It's like the whole world was waiting for his father to take his last breath, so he could finally be King. It's not something he particularly yearned for, but he knows it's his duty. But he just didn't wish his own father had to die to fulfill it.

So now King kept his sickness a secret. He would not live the last part of his life with his family worried  about him. People aiding to his every whim, when he was sill able to do things on his own. The King wouldn't want to see his own son, Harry, who was finally happy, be terrified about becoming King soon.

The King wanted to protect his family, his people, and especially the country. He knew if word got out that he was ill that his enemies would come to steal the throne from his family. He knew the French would try again one day, and he didn't want that day to come anytime soon.

The King sighed as he leaned against the fireplace in his private office. He understood how tough this transition will be for Harry. But now with Y/N by his side, he knows that she will be there to guide and aid him, just like his wife did to him.

The King knew she was a perfect fit for his son, ever since they were young. He would see them running around the castle and playing. All the other little girls would play whatever game Harry wanted. But Y/N would always challenge him. Even when she knew he would grow up and be a king, that didn't mean she would always agree with what he would say or do.

Even now he sees it between them, especially when y/n first arrived. Before she arrive Harry was acting out and even once y/n came he was cold towards her. The King knew his son was against the arrange marriage, and tried everything he could to avoid it. But it was obvious he had feeling for her. He knew he did ever since he was 10.

Y/N was headstrong, beautiful, and wise. And he can tell how much happier she has made him, and that's all a father could ever hope for their son. He knows Y/N would make an excellent Queen alongside Harry.

That's why he pushed them to marry so swiftly. Not only to protect the country with the alliance, but also to protect his family. It's best if a king has a wife when he is crowned king, and he wanted Harry's reign to be secure.

Since he will never be able to see how wonderful a king his son will be, he will do everything in his power to set him up for nothing but success.

The heat of the fire illuminated the dark office and made it warm. The handkerchief was still in the Kings hands. He examined it like he was trying to find answers. Answers to something he could not control, the future.