Tricks

"Mycroft! What are you up to this time?" Sherlock said regaining his calm nature.

"Well Sherlock I think your little friend could answer that."

Sherlock sat thinking when it finally clicked.

"Charlotte! Where is she?" he said more intensely.

"Oh she ran off a while not to long ago." Mycroft said. "Probably back to your flat." The way he said 'flat' irritated Sherlock. His brother always was so irritating.

"Thank you Mycroft." Sherlock said sarcastically leaving the room.

"Sherlock," Mycroft's words hit Sherlock as he was in the door way. "It really.... wasn't her fault entirely. don't be to hard on her."

Sherlock ran out the door and got into the cab.

"221b now!" Sherlock said to the cabbie.

"Alrighty then, what's your rush anyway?" the cabbie asked.

"A woman." Sherlock said bluntly.

"Oh ya no I saw a lady runnin' past us on the way ere'." the cabbie said.

Charlotte. It had to have been her. Mycroft was right she was back at the flat.

The cab pulled up to 221b and Sherlock burst out storming his way up to the flat.

When Sherlock arrived there was Charlotte. She was standing in the same place he had been playing his violin a that morning.

When she turned around he saw the edges of her eyes were red and slightly swelled, she must have been crying. Out of the kitchen came John carrying two tea cups.

"Back from your walk I see." Sherlock almost yelled at John. "And you!" He said pointing at Charlotte. Tears were coming into her eyes again. "You didn't tell me!" he said angrily.

"Sherlock!" yelled John, "I don't know what's going on but maybe we should sit down? Talk about it maybe?" John said trying to keep the peace.

They all sat, and John have the other tea cup to Charlotte.

Sherlock inhaled sharply. "What were you doing with my brother?" Sherlock asked turning his head to Charlotte.

She had calmed down now and seemed ready to answer.

"He texted me, the first day Molly introduced me to you." she said slowly. Then composing herself, she started again at a faster pace.

"He asked me if I had known you for long and I said no. He wanted me to keep an eye on you. He said he was 'concerned' and he needed me to help him. Mycroft offered me money but I said no. I didn't want to do it but then he told me all about you and.... it interested me."

This sent Sherlocks thoughts swirling.

"I wasn't supposed to do anything except go on like normal." she continued "Since I was living close to Molly, Mycroft assumed I would get enough interaction with you to keep him updated. Then of course you asked me to work for you and I just couldn't refuse." she said a sad smile creeping into her face as she thought of her first day at her job.

"Why didn't Mycroft just get John to do this?" Sherlock said pointing towards John.

"He said John was to.... loyal I think he said."

John blushed at the comment on himself.

"Then the first night I was here all of that happened." she said looking up at Sherlock. Their eyes met and both Charlotte and Sherlock remembered that night.

"So the entire time.... it was just a trick?" Sherlock said almost sounding sentimental, to Charlotte at least.

"Wait..... so..... you two......what?" John said more confused than ever.

"It's best you don't get involved in this John." said Sherlock not even looking at him.

John was feeling quite confused and frankly unwanted but lingered just in case things heated up again.

"It wasn't just a trick Sherlock." Charlotte said quietly. "I really did.... feel." she said a sob in her throat.

Sherlock looked away and rested his chin on his hands. He drifted into thought and became oblivious to the rest of the world.

Charlotte took this as a sign and stood up. She grabbed her coat and with a short "goodbye John, have a nice day." she closed the door and left.

Hope this cleared up any confusion anyone had in the last chapter! :) thanks for reading, I hope to have more up tomorrow! :) <3