The Moth and the Lamp

There was something so spectacular, so incredible about Lamp. None of the other insects on the window could see it, but Moth could. During the day, the golden light shone across the fields, making everything visible, and Moth adored its source.

The Lamp in the Sky was not something Moth could touch, but the lamp in the living room was free real estate for Moth to claim.

Moth loved Lamp. Moth had never actually felt the warmth of Lamp, or smelt the scent of Lamp, but Moth loved Lamp, and that was all that mattered.

It was late in the evening, after Sky Lamp had gone away and the Tiny Flickering Lamps came out in the sky when Moth saw a chance to reach Lamp.

Moth didn't hesitate before flying through the open door, into the living room in which Lamp was.

"I love you, Lamp!" Moth cried, darting across the room, through the air to reach his love.

"Lamp!" Moth flew with great speed, landing on the table beneath the grand light source.

"You're so much more beautiful up close, Lamp."

Moth began to climb the metal, taking in the scent, the sight, the taste of Lamp as he climbed. He neared the bulb, ecstatic as the warmth increased and spread throughout his small body.

"Lamp, I will forever love you," he beamed once more before the heat took over and the burning sensation filled his skin. He felt the spark of electricity as his thin legs touched the bulb, his eyes blinded by the brilliant light. There was no going back for Moth, Lamp had burned him alive, roasted him in his glory. Lamp and Moth could never be together, for Moth could not handle the greatness which Lamp held in his light.

The End.