5: Visitors

"No, sorry, Adriana isn't here at the moment." Rissa replied to the redhead teenager standing at the doorstep of the castle. "You'll have to come back later."

        "But please!" Skylar pleaded as the sorceress tried to slam the door, "I promised Adriana I would come by and bring her a friend today. But the thing is, no one was willing to come to the castle with me." Because they knew you were still in town. Skylar added silently in her head. "But my friend Lily promised that she would hang out if I brought Adriana to her. Please let me bring her!"

        "Who's that?" a voice asked from behind Rissa. Adriana emerged, still in her pajamas, yawning and scratching at her tangled hair. "Oh, hey Skylar! Did you bring anyone?"

        "If your aunt would let me in, I could explain." Skylar gave Rissa a pointed stare. Eventually the sorceress gave in, letting the Fairling inside. "I want you home in two hours. Understood?"

        Adriana nodded and led Skylar to her room.

        "Since when did she turn into my mother?" Adriana muttered in annoyance. "Tell me the plan while I get dressed!" she called out to Skylar as she entered her closet and closed the door.

        "So, my friend Lily is interested in meeting you and becoming friends, which I'm totally psyched about. The thing is, she's terrified to come to the castle because your aunt is still here."

        "Yeah, I'm not sure why she hasn't left yet." Adriana's voice drifted out from the closet. "She never stays this long, and certainly not when my mother's in such a frenzy about our powers and stuff."

        "Well, the sooner she leaves, the sooner we can get you more friends." Skylar stated matter-of-factly, brushing away a strand of hair on the bed. "Everyone is totally interested in getting to know you, but let's face it; no one wants to got somewhere that a sorceress is living."

        "I get what you mean." Adriana replied, stepping out of the closet looking fresh-faced and no longer with bed head. "Let's go."

        The door of the closet slammed shut suddenly as Adriana raised her hand to brush her hair behind her ear. Skylar nearly jumped out of her skin.

        "What was that?"

        "I'm not sure..." Adriana furrowed her brow, "Probably just something to do with the new power. I'll have to get used to it."

        Skylar nodded slowly, her eyes still showing uncertainty. "Okay. Well, try to control it while we visit people, so they don't get scared."

        Adriana nodded. Of course, she thought sadly, They can't see the real me without being afraid.

        "That's not what I meant, and you know it." Skylar snapped. Adriana silently cursed herself for forgetting that Fairlings could hear all negative thoughts. 

        "Sorry. It's what I took it as."

        "Clearly." Skylar stopped in her tracks and turned to face Adriana, looking her up and down. "You know what?"

        Adriana looked at her blankly.

        "Forget about Lily. Before you get friends, you need a reality check...and an attitude change."

        "What?"

        "Ad...can I call you Ad? No one wants to be friends with a depressed, moping teenage girl, no matter how beautiful you are or how much power you possess. You're going to have to snap out of this funk if you want to get some new friends. And I'm going to help you with that." Skylar turned around and started walking towards Adriana's now-closed closet door.