12: War of Words

"Goodbye, Skylar. I promise I'll tell Dawn everything as soon as I can. Thank you...for everything." Adriana bade Skylar farewell as she watched her friend walk down the castle steps and into the night after the dinner party. Inwardly, Adriana's heart was hammering and her mind was whirling. How could she possibly tell Dawn the truth? Her twin wouldn't believe her. She would want to see the best in Kabos, like she always did; she was Light, she was perfect...but as far as Adriana was concerned, she was in grave danger.

        Adriana rushed down hallways and up staircases until she arrived at Dawn's door, slightly out of breath. Mustering up all the courage she had in her slim body, she raised her hand and knocked.

***

        Had that really just happened? Dawn's head swam with happiness and she felt giddy and warm all over. She had never even felt attracted to anyone in her entire life, and then Kabos came into the picture and just swept her off her feet...he was magical, and she couldn't imagine never having met him. She looked down at the necklace happily and rubbed the sapphire in the middle. He was the perfect guy for her, he was the perfect guy in general...Dawn was certain that nothing would ever come between them.

        Knock, knock.

        "Come in!" Dawn cried out cheerfully, twirling the necklace between her fingers.

        Adriana entered the room and closed the door behind her quietly. She looked nervous, and Dawn forgot all about Kabos momentarily.

        "Ad? What's wrong?" she asked, inviting her sister to sit down on the bed next to her. Adriana sat down hesitantly next to her sister and turned to face her.

        "This isn't easy to say," she started, "But I have to tell you. It's to protect you."

        Dawn nodded. "You know you can tell me anything, Ad."

        "I know." Adriana whispered. "But this is...this is a big deal."

        "Okay..." Dawn furrowed her perfectly plucked eyebrows, "Tell me."

        Adriana took a deep breath. 

        "Kabos...is a traitor."

        Dawn's face went blank as her mind went crazy. What? Kabos wasn't a traitor. He had just kissed her. He had just given her a necklace. He was the first boy Dawn had ever fallen for. He was the first boy Dawn had ever loved. He wasn't a traitor. Adriana had to be mistaken.

        "Ad, I don't think you know what you're talking about." Dawn said patiently, reaching out to comfort her obviously deranged sister.

        "I do know what I'm talking about." Adriana replied, jumping off the bed and away from Dawn's touch. "I know exactly what I'm talking about."

        "Oh yeah?" Dawn felt her mind closing and anger started to bubble up in her stomach. She pushed it back down as she tried to understand Adriana's position. "Explain."

        "Fine." Adriana's face was red and her hair looked like it had had fingers run through it in agony just moments before. "Tonight at the dinner party, Skylar sat next to Kabos."

        "So?"

        "If you want me to explain this to you, you can't inturrupt me every two seconds." Adriana snapped. Dawn crossed her arms and looked up at her sister definatly, firm in her faith in Kabos. 

        "As I was saying..." Adriana continued, "Tonight at the dinner party, Skylar sat next to Kabos. As you know, Skylar is a Fairling, so she can hear negative thoughts. She told me that she was amazed by the fact that her head wasn't ringing with negativity at the dinner; everyone was happy and excited about Mother's recovery. But then she heard one lone voice. In a Fairling's head, the thoughts of others have the same voice as the speaker's regular voice. Skylar heard one lone negative thought about how the person couldn't believe that Mother had survived. They were certain that they had put in the correct amount of poison and there was no possible way that Mother could have survived. They said that they must have underestimated our, the princesses, powers."