To Turn Back

A/N Whew, big nervous breaths! My first story on Wattpad. Let's see how may site fau pa(s) I make while getting used to a new site formatting! Originally I planned to publish this story on Fanfiction Net (Still under the psyudonm  of Evil-Ekat) but decided maybe I would try it out here first! I hope you guys enjoy!

Disclaimer: I don't own Gravity Falls, and make no profit off of this story.

It was a gloomy day in Gravity Falls. The sky was overcast and sullen, and the smell of the coming storm filled the air. Most people were hurrying around, not wanting to get caught in the rain. Between the grey day and the hurried tension that set in, one could tell it was going to be a day filled with interesting events.

On this day, a bus pulled up at the first stop in Gravity Falls. It was a regular one for public transportation. Nothing like the larger, more noisy busses used by the tourists who frequently visited the town. Only one person got off at this stop. Only one person was on the bus to start with.

Clutching a black leather attaché case in one hand. He stepped out in to the gloom, observing the town with an almost nostalgic sense behind the shadow of his hat. He stretched with a little difficulty, stiff from sitting down for so long.

"Oh, Gravity Falls it is good to be back!" He announced to himself.

The man started to walked down the side of the road, in to town. Not much had changed in his absence. Perhaps the streets were a little more clean, and the buildings were more weathered than he remembered, but it felt the same to him.

The small little town with the big hidden secret. The streets had now emptied of practically everyone despite it only being a little past twelve. No one was there to observe as he walked up to an older building that most had forgotten about and pulled out a skeleton key.

After being gone for so long of course everything was covered under a layer of dust. The small front area used as a reception room seemed to be silver under all the chairs and front desk. He would have to tidy it after he had settled in some more. Wandering down a short hallway, the man came to his own office, and unlocked it with some difficulty. It seemed new locks were in order from the door. The same familiar sight of his office met him, laid back, yet organized.

He drew back the blinds behind his desk, letting light in to the dusty room. A view of the forest was there behind the spotted glass. He would have to clean it up as well. His desk was still in place, all of it's contents and secret drawers left unopened, along with his favourite matching chair. The two bookshelves he had packed with volumes varying from law to cook books stood off to a corner against a wall. There was a shelf with several glazed photos of Gravity Falls, gently fading away over time.

Hanging up his coat on a peg behind the door, the man rolled up his sleeves and got to work. Scrubbing the window till it sparkled, sweeping away the dust in to one very large pile, and tossing out most of the old pictures on the shelf. There were too many old memories captured in them. He wanted no reminders.

Then he got to cleaning up some of the front room, and managed to clean off the fading sign outside of the building. The letters were visible, but still in good need of a new layer of pain. Oddly enough, the logo on the sign had survived all of this time. The red unblinking eye never loosing any of it's pigmentation. He flipped the little sign on the door to open, doubting anyone would bother to see it anyways in this weather.

During this time the storm had finally broken. The dark grey clouds poured out, and thunder resounded in the distance. As he stopped for a moment to peer out of the window, he could see the worst of the weather was yet to come.

Over by the mountains in the distance there was still even darker clouds, and lightning continued to flash. It seemed like the opportune time to hail as well. This was why he was not able to hear the person in the front room until he walked in with a cardboard box.