New Beginnings & New Enemies (i)

CHAPTER ONE:

“NO!” I scream at the top of my lungs as I jump awake.

Looking at my alarm clock I realise its already 6:30am so I get out of bed, wiping the beads of sweat from my forehead as I walk into the bathroom. Quickly stripping and getting into the shower and adjusting the temperature I begin to wash my short black hair and then shave my legs before I brush my teeth. Yes I brush my teeth in the shower, I know it’s weird but I feel weird if I don’t do it.

Still in my towel, I begin to blow-dry my hair attempting to rid the nightmare from my mind, the flashbacks come the worst at night.

I quickly walk into my room and try to figure out what to wear. Today is my first day at Mountainview High School since my mother and I moved here just a week ago. I'm not normally the type of girl to put a lot of effort into my appearance for school, but being the first day, I figure I may as well attempt to look half decent and not scare everyone away from the new girl.

I decide on a pair of black high-waisted shorts, a white Jack Daniels singlet and full black converse. Satisfied with my choice of clothing, I go back into the bathroom to tackle my curls that have begun to form around my face since I dried my hair. Turning my straightener on I begin on my makeup applying foundation, eyeliner, mascara and a bit of tinted lip balm before the beeping of my straightener informs me that it’s hot enough and so I straighten until every curl has disappeared and I'm left with pin straight hair. When I'm finally pleased with my appearance I grab my small black backpack and race down the hall to the kitchen to make some tea before I start walking to school where unsurprisingly I notice the house is empty. My mother was always working and I felt horrible, like I should have a job myself to help contribute but my mother always refused, she wanted me to just focus on school instead of helping her out with bills and stuff. It’s hard because I never spend any time with her and we aren’t close at all, but since it’s just me and her, I understand exactly why she always has to work. In my old town I used to make money here and there with my photography, my grandmother bought me one of those fancy DSLR cameras when I was 14 and I’ve loved photography ever since and I was quite surprised at how many people are willing to pay just for me to take their photos of them or even bands during their shows. Live photography has to be my favourite though, being able to catch all the emotion and atmosphere of music in a single photo is the best feeling in the world, plus doing that I’ve met a heap of amazing people and I get free entry into shows, and get paid on top of that. What could be better?

Walking down the road I put my headphones in my ears and drown out my nerves with sounds of Bring Me The Horizon. Starting my Junior year at a new school is actually really nerve wracking, a new school, with no friends, I really hope people are nice there.

As I walk into the school gates I see that the school looks just like any from a movie, the carpark filled with music and laughter, the “nerds” all grouped together around their laptops and iPads, there’s a bunch of girls in heels standing by the carpark giggling to themselves and casually pointing to some of the guy dressed in varsity jackets.  Jocks I presume?

All this is so new to me.

I walk through the crowd into the administration building and lineup in front of a desk with an elderly woman seated behind it. With her glasses, wrinkled skin, and white hair, I can’t help but wonder why she hasn’t retired, I mean seriously she looks older than my grandmother?!

When its my turn I step forward and smile at the woman.

“Hello Deary, what’s your name?”

“Melody Grace” I say with a smile. The woman looks to the computer, squinting her eyes through her red glasses before turning to a folder beside her and handing it to me.