Solstice

The monthly meetings among the Guardians at Santoff Clausen were the highlights of Jack's months, even if they were mostly just informing each other of the affairs of their respective realms. It was the company that Jack craved, and after three hundred years alone, who could blame him. Not that he'd ever admit that to the others, retaining a nonchalant outwards appearance. The food was also a massive benefit. The only food he'd managed to find over the course of his immortal life was scraps left behind after picnics and fruit grown on trees. Being immortal meant that he didn't necessarily have to eat, but it was nice to feel full.

At this moment, he was taking full advantage of North's hospitality and grabbing anything that he could reach, often utilising his staff to snag some of the items further away.

His attention was diverted when the discussion turned to his activities in the southern hemisphere where it was currently winter.

"How goes the spreading of fun and winter 'down under'?" North asked, casting a quick smirk at Bunny who groaned at his pitiful attempt at an Australian accent.

Jack smirked at his discomfort and said, "Well, there's a lot less land down there so there's not much for me to do. And I'm basically banned from Australia so that just leaves me parts of South America and New Zealand to frolic in... But I suppose the penguins in Antarctica are nice enough."

"Too right, you can't come to Australia," Bunny retorted, "You're not gonna mess with my turf. You keep playing with your penguins."

"I wasn't talking about you," Jack retorted, "There are some other spirits who I don't quite get along with that wouldn't like it if..."

He trailed off as a small shape drifting down through the open roof of the Globe room caught his eye. He rose to his feet to catch the small oak leaf which shimmered with a strange golden light.

"Jack?" Tooth asked, as the others wondered at his abrupt shift in behaviour, "Are you alright?"

He gave an exaggerated groan, looking from the leaf to the other Guardians, deciding which to pursue.

"What's all the fuss over a leaf, mate?" Bunny demanded, sensing he and the others were missing something.

"I forgot the date," Jack replied, "Time zones screw me up sometimes."

"Why does this matter?" North asked.

Sandy, however, seemed to understand, casting some dreamsand above his head in the shape of a sun.

Jack nodded and said, "It's July 22nd... Solstice. I have to go."

"What?" Tooth demanded, rising to hover above her seat, "But we've only just started!"

"I know, it's just... well she wouldn't be happy if I missed it."

"She who?" Bunny demanded, also rising to his feet.

A powerful gust of wind that was decidedly warmer than that of Jack's swept around the room, pushing him away from the table.

"I know!" he snapped at it before turning back to the Guardians and saying, "I'm really sorry. I have to go."

Before any more arguments could be made, he summoned his icy wind around himself and shot through the roof, disappearing from sight, leaving the bemused Guardians to stare at each other. They all turned to Sandy.

"What does the Summer Solstice mean?" Tooth asked.

Using a variety of images, Sandy attempted to explain, creating an oak leaf, a daisy, a snowflake and a sun then had them encircle a large tree.