|| 13: B o m b s h e l l s & W a v e s o f F i r e ||

XX

I lay, sprawled across the bunched-up sheets of my bed, staring at the ceiling that hovered right over me

I lay, sprawled across the bunched-up sheets of my bed, staring at the ceiling that hovered right over me. My over-sized yellow tee was crumpled and my dark, curly hair was a tangled mess but I couldn't care less.

It had been a few hours since Sweet Pea dropped me home and, even though I was supposed to be sleeping, I couldn't stop thinking about him and what had happened that night.

He had shown me his soft, kind and considerate side. He had granted me space when I needed it, apologised when I was upset and given me advice concerning my family problems. He returned my phone, he let me have his bike helmet and was extremely careful with his motorcycle on the windy, rutty roads.

To be honest, I hadn't expected such behaviour from a too-hot, big-shot, extremely arrogant Serpent biker. But then again ... we were talking about Sweet Pea here. Maybe the word 'sweet' was in his name for a reason ...

"Kenz. Kenz, sweetie, wake up!"

With a startled jolt, I rolled over to face Dad, who was leaning over me, an expression of concern plastered across his face. "D-Dad? It's morning already?"

"Afternoon actually," he returned as he lowered his large frame onto the end of my bed. The mattress dipped beneath his weight and I had to pull myself up into a sitting position to prevent my body from rolling off onto the floor.

"A-are you serious?" I groaned as I ran my fingers through my tangled locks.

Dad raised his eyebrows and shrugged. "Where were you last night?"

I hesitated before replying in a low tone, "I - I was at a friend's house. Archie Andrews' actually."

"All night?" Dad gave me a pointed look, one that hinged on annoyance and disappointment.

"What? No!" I exclaimed, a bright red blush flooding my cheeks. "No! C'mon, Dad. Seriously?"

"Well ... what do you expect me to think? You ignored all of my calls and messages."

"Look, I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean to stay so long. It won't happen again, I promise," I sighed as I widened my eyes and pursed my lips in a 'puppy-dog' look.

Dad rolled his eyes and chuckled as he stood up. Upon realising that he wasn't mad, a wave of relief washed over me.

"So ... what's the plan for today?" I queried innocently as I tumbled out of bed and headed into the kitchen.

"Got you some coffee," Dad motioned to a mug on the counter before sitting down at the kitchen table.

"Mmm." I closed my eyes and sniffed at the delicious waft floating through the air. Turning around, I saw Dad lean back in his chair and open his mouth to speak. "Yes?" I prompted when no words came out.