Chapter 8 The Second in Command

Radiance. Something that is said to exist within all people attatched around their souls. Depending on a person they could awaken and train it to be stronger or better in what they do. Most of the people possess low amount of radiance and never awaken it, but some people could. And they are mostly warriors who dont specialize in magic and experience physical stress in everyday lives either due to training or hars environments. Some even develop it unconsciously.

They cannot control well the flow of mana and understand magic like mages, they do not specialize in alchemy and concocting medicines and they are not knowledgeable about machineries either.

But they could wield weapons like swords, spears, bows and tools with ease. They use Mana to activate their radiance and reinforce their weapon and themselves in order to fight.

Humans who use their radiance surpass their limits and show comparable results to the greatest of sages when they become a master.

The power of radiance has different colors that represent the elements. Fire(Red), Water(Blue), Earth(Grey), Air(White), Light(Yellow) and Darkness(Black).

And among these powers one is particularly unique in its abilities.

White.

The opposite of black. The power that a certain girl from nobility was born with. Her name is Claire Schlei Arsonreill. She was reknowned for permeating even the most heavily armored enemies and monster with her Schyte. She was like the ghost of death herself.

[Claire]

"Time for me to get serious and beat some sense into you, Vice Captain Claire." - Ushier

This is it. Ive done my best so far but he isnt even scratched. I havent landed a single blow.

"Just try it."

I know Im being arrogant and disrespectful but, this is what I want. If I lose Ill give up bringing him back.

But if I win. Im going to bring him back no matter what!

I felt a strong pressure coming from Ushier, the level of his radiance is much higher than mine, its also much refined.

I heard that his radiance gives him the ability to move at an unbelievable speed and make his weapon hot enough to torch what it touches, he also have an ability where he could blind his enemies with light. But he Im pretty sure he could do much more than that.

This time hes going to attack me with the intent to kill. I can only hope to win with a surprise attack.

He pointed his spear at me and breathed deeply.

"Here I go..." - Ushier

He always seemed like a fool. But hes not a Captain for nothing. His strength was the real deal and Ive seen him battle.

"[Foresight]"

Using this ability takes a toll on me and depletes my energy but with this I have a chance of winning.

I can predict the parts where hes going to hit me and quickly use my skill [Phantasmal State] to make it pass through like its air.

"Huh?"

When I saw what I wanted all of my mana instantly disappeared. So much information was acquired from that instance. Thats just how many attacks Ill recieve from him.

But there was one path. Where he let me win. And I decided to follow that path.

I swung my schyte in front of me blindly and there he was standing like I caught him off guard. He grinned and then turned around.