chapter seventeen; see you soon

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

꒰꒰・┄┄・𓆩♡𓆪・┄┄・꒱꒱

"I NEVER GAVE UP ON YOU." Mike's lip trembles as he embraces Eleven, tears streaming down both of their faces. "I called you every night. Every night for..."

"...353 days. I heard." Eleven cuts him off, guilts embedded within her words.

"Why didn't you tell me you were there? That you were okay?" Mike furrows his brows, confusion and hurt taking over his features.

"I wouldn't let her." Hopper pipes in. "The hell is this? Where have you been?"

Everyone watches on with confusion as the older man walks toward the girl, acting as if he were her father by asking her questions and then pulling her into a hug. Summer and the boys share the same bemused look as they realise what had really been going on. This whole time they thought that their friend was dead and Hopper had been hiding her, keeping her from them all.

"You've been hiding her this whole time!" Mike says accusingly and shoves the chief to which he retaliated by grabbing hold of his shirt and demanding that they talk before dragging him to the bedroom.

The room falls quiet for a second before Dustin and Lucas pull El into a hug. The three of them holding each other tightly as they express just how much they'd missed each other. Summer and the others didn't want to intrude on the little reunion, so they stuck to the corner of the room, where they could let them have their moment.

It was hard to believe Eleven was even alive after the way she'd sacrificed herself. From what Summer had been told the younger girl had quite literally evaporated into thin air, who knew there was a way of returning from that?

"So, who is she?" Steve asks and for a second Summer had completely forgotten that he literally had no idea. He'd heard the stories about her, but Steve had never actually seen Eleven with his own eyes.

"She's the one that saved us all, twice now." Summer sighs, happy to know El was okay.

A few minutes had gone by of the tweens catching up before Steve gestured behind Summer where Eleven was making her way towards them. Summer went to greet her but before she had a chance the girl was embracing her in a hug. This came as a shock to everyone, especially Summer, as they'd never really spoken to one another and for the brief moments they'd been together their attention had been focused on something else.

When Eleven pulls away she reaches her hand slowly up to Summer's neck, tracing the damaged tissue and wincing as she does so. Steve's eyes widen as he watched the contact between the two, no one had ever touched Summer's scar other than himself, but there was an undeniable connection between the two girls. They both reflected one another in certain ways, other than the telekinesis they were very much alike.

"Hurt." Eleven says, her face full of sorrow and Summer nods with glistening eyes.

"We have to make sacrifices for those we love, right?" Summer forces a smile through the tears and then without another word Eleven turns straight to Steve.