28 | A Meal with Cadu |

'Take that!' I swung my sword towards my opponent's shoulder, only for it to be parried with a sideways swipe which left me undefended. A thrust towards my unprotected stomach made me jump backwards and almost stumble over a vine that snaked its way across the ground behind me. My heart beat faster but I steadied myself and took another swing at my foe. He ducked out of my sword's path and ran in under my outstretched arm. His sword was at my throat. I'd lost again.

'Mercy!'

'That's the third time I've beaten you this morning!' crowed Farlan, bouncing up and down in his excitement with a grin that lit up his face.

'I hate to admit this, but you are far better than me. You deserved to win,' I told him, tousling his dark curls. I'd spent long evenings sparring with Farlan outside the cottage, but he had been only a mediocre swordsman at best. Naamiya had taught Farlan, and she was a worthy teacher if his skills were any indication of her expertise.

'There is a messenger here for you, sir.' Umae had padded soundlessly into the garden and her words startled me.

The messenger waited for me in the entrance hall. He was one of Cadu's servants, dressed in an immaculate white robe. 'My master, Cadu, has sent me to inquire if you would take the evening meal with him tonight.'

I had half-forgotten the man who had rescued me from the dark room beneath the Council Hall, and besides, I had not expected him to invite me for dinner, thinking it had been a mere politeness. Intrigued, I told the messenger that I was happy to accept.

As evening darkened the sky, and birds gathered to roost and squawk at each other in the high branches of the shade trees, Rushu and Barodit took me to Cadu's house.

The hubbub of the city lessened as we approached it. A high hedge surrounded it and blocked out what little noise remained as we passed through it. It was strange to find somewhere so quiet in the midst of the hustle and bustle that surrounded every other building in Polemmy.

The white-painted house stood two stories high. Well-muscled guards with swords at their belts stood either side of the front door. A bed of bright red and orange flowers glowed like flames in the last rays of the sun. The house was surrounded by fresh green grass, the first that I'd seen in the city.

Inside the house I became even more aware of Cadu's wealth. It was evident in the depth and silkiness of the carpets beneath my feet, the huge paintings on the walls, the sweet smell of night-flower perfumes drifting in through the open windows and the bright silks covering the furniture. Each room was enormous, the walls were painted white with displays of flowers in vases adding colour. Mirrors reflected plants standing in front of them and artfully arranged groups of weapons were displayed on some of the walls.

Cadu appeared from an inner room and greeted me with arms outstretched.

'Welcome to my home. I understand you have come from a farm in the mountains. So, what do you make of Polemmy? The truth now,' he said, looking straight into my eyes.

'It's very big and grand,' I said, unsure what answer would please him most. 'I feel like an ant scurrying around.'

He smiled at my reply. 'Ants play an important part in the life of their nest, no matter how small and insignificant they seem to us. The citizens of a city are equally important to it.' He hesitated as though he wanted to say something else but decided to hold onto his thoughts. 'Come, meet my wife and son,' he said stepping back and gesturing that I should enter into the next room first.

'Thamet, this is Ahelia, my wife, and my son, Ejentu,' he said.

Cadu's wife stood, smiled and bowed to me. She was younger than Cadu, without a trace of grey in her hair and her skin was smooth and unlined. She wore a lot of gold jewellery, at her throat, around her wrists and even in her ears. She was slim and her dress clung gently to her slight curves, the sheen of silk flattering her. She crossed over to me and took my hand, her gold bangles jangling delicately. The scent of roses surrounded me and I thought that Ahelia was a most fitting partner for Cadu.