4. Testing The Waters

Buttoning my blouse, I stepped out into the hall, "stupid fucking gangster...unstable prick-couldn't drop me off around the corner." I muttered, seething. Slamming into a small frame, I steadied myself.

Gasping, Hannah–the youngest maid–quickly pulled the door to my father's study shut. "You alright?" I asked, wondering what she'd been doing inside there. The study was off limits, I myself had only been privy to entry on a handful of occasions in my entire life. And by Privy you mean, snuck in to hack the security system. Frowning at the snarky woman in my head I folded my arms.

Nodding, Hannah tucked her auburn locks behind her ear. Noticing her damp forehead, I rolled my eyes. "Seriously, could you look more suspicious." Groaning I gestured for her to lead the way downstairs.

Pausing when we reached the foyer, she began to wring her hands together. "I wanted to see what was so special about the study, Maria doesn't allow me to clean in there." She spoke softly, barely making eye contact. I couldn't blame the girl; curiosity was a son of a bitch. Always corrupting the innocent. It's what led me to Reece in the first place. Really, I thought that was your vagina- muting my subconscious, I relaxed my shoulders. Silence was great.

"To be honest Hannah, it really doesn't bother me. You're welcome to go wherever you please as far as I'm concerned. But if you are cracking into his stash of Bourbon, then RIP my friend." Sagging with relief, the young woman hurried off casting a quick look over her shoulder. "So weird." I mumbled, dragging myself towards the kitchen wing.

The warm scent of creamy mushroom and chicken pasta wafted through the air, my mouth watered in delight. I was starving, vivid wet dreams had hat effect on a girl. Before I could rejoice in the spread Maria, our caretaker but more like a second mum, had prepared I was met with my father's stern presence.

Elbows on either side of his plate, his hands were clasped together. He wasn't looking at anything in particular just dead ahead as though lost in thought. My gaze travelled up to Ward, standing mechanically and on alert behind him. Fuck. Shifting the weight on my feet, I looked to Alex for some assistance. Dropping his head immediately he toyed with his meal.

Unclasping his hands, my father motioned for me to take a seat. "I made your favourite, amorcito." Lovingly calling me the nickname she'd given me years ago, Maria set my plate and poured me a large glass of orange juice. The silence was unnerving. It resembled the feeling, I was sure, one would get with a noose around their neck. Just waiting and wiring and waiting for the floor to drop beneath their feet and the rope to choke the life out of them. The silence was that noose.

Cautiously reaching for my glass, I took several sips. The freshly squeezed liquid soothed my dry throats and eased my stomach. Taking a larger sip, I settled into my seat. "Ward will accompany you whenever you step out of the manor." Choking on my drink, I gripped the tables edge. I felt the noose tighten, forcing me to dangle and claw for freedom.

Lowering his arms calmly he settled a hand towel over his lap before salting his meal. Calmly twirling his fork through the pasta, he began to eat. Glaring from him to Ward, I scraped my nails over the tables surface. "You've got to be fucking kidding me." When he didn't look at me or further elaborate, I slammed my palm down on the table. "Why are you so insistent on building a goddam golden cage around me!?" I screamed.

Startled, Maria took a step back. Alex sank further into his seat and Ward, did what Ward did best- stay mechanical and on alert. "Because I can." He spoke authoritatively, smugly. "Nothing to do with you." He scoffed repeating the words I'd said earlier. "The renegade was attacking you; you were the target and to top it all off you're with Trammel again." His gravelly voice deepened, remaining firm and controlled.