Chapter 12: Save the Allegiance

The gamer was sitting alone in a lounge while playing her console. After the vote was decided in her favor, an employee escorted her to a luxurious lounge while the division leaders finished their meeting. The seats were comfortably padded and there was a nice aroma in the cool room.

She heard someone approaching the room. Chiaki quickly put away the game and sat up straight to look professional. The gamer was greeted by the smiling face of Ruruka with Sonosuke closely following behind.

"Hello, new partner!" cheered Ruruka, approaching before forcibly shaking her hand. "It's nice to have you on board!"

Chiaki didn't hold any kind of grudge against Ruruka, but she was still overwhelmed by the change in attitude as she asked, "I thought you didn't want me to be one of the division leaders?"

"No way! I was just looking out for you. You might not know this, but Sonosuke and I were a part of the seventy-sixth class."

Chiaki thought about if she ever saw Ruruka on campus. She would go for walks—though, most of it was her staring at a game screen. "I don't think I ever saw you."

"There was a little incident between me and a...former friend." The gamer tilted her head while Ruruka had a far-off look for a moment before her smile returned. "Since I haven't introduced myself yet, I'm the head of the Eight Division and former Ultimate Confectioner, Ruruka Ando. This handsome guy behind me is Sonosuke Izayoi, head of the Ninth Division and former Ultimate Blacksmith."

"A blacksmith?" repeated Chiaki, walking past Ruruka and staring at Sonosuke in awe. "Does that mean you make weapons like the type you see in games?"

"If I wanted."

"Amazing..."

Ruruka was a little annoyed, pouting in jealousy. "My talent is also pretty amazing, you know?" The confectioner walked to a small table that was oddly separated from the larger table full of snacks. "Garbage like snack food isn't fit to be beside my amazing creations." She grabbed a macaroon out of a plastic casing and handed it to Chiaki. "Everyone in the Future Foundation knows my sweets are to die for."

The gamer took the treat and ate half of it in one bite. Her cheeks warmed up so much, she had to clench her palms. An overwhelming flavor erupted, and her taste buds couldn't get enough. The sweets Noriko would give her wasn't this amazing. She even doubted Teruteru could make sweets at this level.

"What do you think?" Ruruka smiled, Chiaki's expression confirming what she knew all along, which was her creations were second to none. However, she wasn't prepared for one of the gamer's notorious critiques.

"It's alright," she replied, shoving the rest in her mouth.

"Say what!" yelled Ruruka, pushing her face so close to Chiaki's, their noses were touching. "Did you seriously just say that! My creations are the best on the entire planet! Even God—"

Ruruka paused when she realized what was happening. The intention was to make a good impression, but her temper had gotten the better of her. Sonosuke looked at her with a raised eyebrow while Chiaki simply stared back.

"Uh..." Ruruka quickly backed up and cleared her throat. "I can get a little carried away when it comes to my talent. You understand, right?"

"I get the same way with my talent sometimes."

"Awesome! Now, I have a deal for you. To ensure a future of camaraderie, I'll get my boyfriend to make a special weapon, just for you. In return—you have to owe me."