02 - take your time

Heejin profoundly gazes at the rose, glancing at all the different perspectives of the petaled red flower. Tears of rain remain to drain down on the vigorous rose and her drenched apparel. Heejin belatedly holds, grasping onto the stem and the pile of mail under it. Exerting a thick sigh, she unlocks the entry to the aspect of her mother standing right in front of her.

"What took you forever?" her mom questions. The soggy clothes on Heejin let her mother give out a sickened rustle. Her eyes fixate on the rose in the palm of her left fist. She glimpses back into Heejin's eyes.

"The bus came late... and-" she nonchalantly locates the rose behind her back.

"I can see it. Wherever you got that flower, it better be in your trash can by tonight," her mom explains, "No one wants the house to smell like rotten flowers." Heejin bows as she thrusts past her, tossing the pack of mail onto the kitchen counter. She tightly clutches onto the rose, then stepping upstairs and toward her bedroom.

Within the room and to her desk chair, she breathes. She sets the rose on the top of the desk, then pressuring her hands on her forehead. My clothes... I need them for tomorrow... She gently disrobes, casting her sodden uniform into the laundry bin.

Dressing into her pajamas, the idea of the rose stuffs her mind. Was it a mistake? Did they place it in the wrong house? Who would have the audacity to bring a rose to someone's front porch anyway?

Heejin marches up to her desk, taking out all her books and papers to do her homework.

-

Writing and writing, the rose at the corner of her left hand disturbed her. It's laying there, slowly and slowly rotting and falling down. The paper. She breathes, finally exposing the piece of paper laid into the stem.

"Take time to smell the rose.

- hyj number one."

Hyj. Thinking of all the people at her school, she could only think of... no one. No one could have. It must be a joke.

She breathes.

Heejin slightly positions the rose near her nose. Inhaling, the beautifully intense aroma rushes up to her. The sweet and luxurious floral fragrance travels along her body, each individual piece of it. A tender feeling, an airy tender feeling of warmth, a sense of intimacy-

What am I doing?

She stops.

A petal. The shaded red petal of the scented flower gracefully drops down to Heejin's toes. Then another one. And another one after that. More the petals, more the ache in her head swells.

Didn't take long for a thing of nature to be in her trash bin.

Heejin puts her palm on her head. She walks up to her bed, using her other hand to pick up a small journal from under it. Jumping onto the soft mattress, she grabs a pen and opens the journal to a clean page.

Jeon Heejin. 4.12.18.

       8:12 PM, Journal #15.

Who am I? My mind, it's going from place to place. I can't stick to one thing. I can't stick to my own belief. What is this? Am I being spelled? This sense, it's making my hands shake in fear. The cats can take my life already. I'm just a confused and short-minded rabbit anyways.  Just.. remind me. It isn't true. Love, not true. Slap yourself until you forget. It's shit. Love can't be true- my mom has already been through that hell. And where's daddy now?

Her eyes gradually start to fall down, her body begins to relax. A journal and pen laying on her chest, as Heejin gently snores through the rest of the night.

a/n

rushed af