15 - Is it a relationship?

Adrien smiled to himself. He had been wondering for so long if he should give her this rose. Generally, he didn't have any experience in dating. If he hadn't had Plagg who made him to plan anything, they would spend their first date on the bench in the park. Or worse – at her house. He felt like he should suggest something. It was like a pressure he should show the initiative. But after a moment he remembered that it was Marinette. His Marinette. After all, she wouldn't expect a dinner in a Michelin 3-star restaurant. She would be more interested in spending time with him. The same was the most important to him – to spend time with her, to gaze into her eyes, to make her blush... And to talk, talk, talk – just for the future. They would see each other tomorrow at school with all that disturbing stuff like teachers and classes.

Luckily, Plagg forced his brain to work and finally Adrien remembered a little café nearby Marinette's house. Adrien had been there once, and now it seemed to be a perfect place for a date.

When they went inside the café, he looked at Marinette's face and he knew – that was the perfect place. She was delighted looking at tiny tables all over the café. They sat down at one of those little tables. Immediately, a waitress approached with a little, thin vase filled with water. For the rose.

"Just to keep it alive..." she whispered and winked to them.

They looked at each other in embarrassment. They had to get used to the fact that people around them would treat them as a couple. They were a couple, after all! But until now it had been something their personal... Only Marinette's parents knew. And Master Fu. Any interest of strangers was still embarrassing them.

Marinette put the rose in the vase with a shaking hand. Adrien instinctively caught the vase before it fell over.

"All me..." Marinette muttered. "I'm so clumsy..."

"Not at all." He denied, slipping his hand from the vase onto her hand. He clasped their hands. She looked at him gratefully. They gazed at each other eyes. The moment was ruined by the waitress who came back to their table and asked:

"Would you like to order?"

"Uhm..." Adrien released Marinette's hand and took a menu.

"I'd like to take a large hot chocolate." Marinette ordered.

"I'll take a large cinnamon chocolate." Adrien decided quickly.

"Anything to eat?" the waitress asked.

"I... I think I'll take a lemon tarte." Marinette whispered.

"Crème for me." Adrien added.

The waitress left, and they looked at each other embarrassed again. Suddenly, both felt very uncomfortable. They both dropped their heads watching their hands.

"So... We can tick off the first point on to-do list..." Marinette said, realizing that their sudden silence was harder to bear for Adrien than for her.

"What do you mean?" He asked and looked at her.

"We've ordered. You know... I... I don't know too much about dates..." she confessed with embarrassment.

"Me neither... Can you imagine?" he laughed.

"Yeah, right. You think I'll believe in that?" she murmured.

"I'm serious, Marinette. I didn't think it would be so stressful..."

"You're stressed?" she was surprised.

"A bit... Yes..." he confessed, somehow happy that his girlfriend was also his best friend and he could be honest with her without pretending. "You don't?"

"You know..." she smiled. "Comparing to myself from two days ago, when I was unable to talk to you normally, now I'm quite easy-going..."

"For me it's the opposite... And I have a feeling that I should meet your expectations. That everything must be perfect."

"Doesn't have to." She replied quickly, holding out her hand to him. His hand met hers immediately. "I mean... I want to say that it is perfect anyway. And besides, I don't want you to think that I have any expectations. I mean... You don't have to... Uhm... Eh. I don't know how to say it..." she sighed embarrassed, but looking at his tense face, she added: "I don't want you to think about me, or rather about us, like about the next project undertaken by the gild boy, Adrien Agreste. Do you understand what I mean?" she asked with a hope.

"N-not really..." he stuttered. "What do you mean by saying 'the project'?"

"Oh, Adrien... Don't you feel that everyone around you expects that you'll do everything on the highest level? And you do your best to meet their expectations. But I don't want you to think that way about our... our..." she stammered. She wasn't ready to call it "a relationship". Wasn't too early for that?

"Our relationship?" he finished the sentence with a smile.

"Yes..." she blushed.

"You haven't got used to that yet?"

"Well, it's a bit new for me. Isn't it too early to call it a relationship?"

"The day before yesterday I proposed to you, yesterday I was kissing you on the roof of the church. I think we can definitely call it a relationship." He grinned.

"You know, when you say it, everything is so clear and natural..."

"Isn't it?"

"I still can't believe that you... you want to date me..."

"Still?" he smiled with disbelief.

"Of course, when we are together, I have no problems with that! But when you're gone, I start thinking of..."

"Of what?"

"You know..."

"No, I don't."

"Sometimes I lose self-confidence. And bit gloomy thoughts get me."

"Sometimes?" Marinette's purse squeaked quietly.

"Tikki, you promised to be quiet!"

"Sorry, Marinette..." Tikki whispered.

"Sorry for that." Marinette muttered. "I had to take her with me, but she promised not to interrupt."

"Well, I have a company as well." Adrien smiled, reminding her that both had the reason to keep their kwamis close to them.

"I hope that the evening will be peaceful." She sighed.

"My dad is out of the city, so it is quite possible." Adrien muttered.

Marinette looked at him in astonishment. Had he just joked about the fact that his father might be, or rather most likely was Hawkmoth?