Chapter 9: Bird

WARNING:

*What you are about to read may contain strong language and mature themes.

By the time I got to the house, all of the lights were still on. Desperately, I cuddled my notebook and laid on the sidewalk. Despite the cold concreate beneath me, I eventually fell into a deep sleep. 

COLBY'S POV

I didn't sleep at all the night Ainsley left. I spent the night wandering around for her. At 7 a.m., I decided to try again after I got sleep. With sadness in my eyes, I walked back to the mansion. Until I saw her. There, on the hard, cold concrete, was Ainsley, her notebook in her arms. Her cheeks were bright red, from what I assumed to be the tears. Underneath her eyes were streams of mascara. As carefully as I could, I picked her up and carried her to my bed. I laid her down, shut off the light, and left her.

"Hey, where were you all night?" a sleepy Sam asked as I walked into the kitchen.

"Looking for Ainsley. Turns out she was sleeping out on the sidewalk," I explained.

"Woah. I feel bad for her, man. But I could imagine where she's coming from. You can't expect her to tell you things like abuse so quickly," Sam replied, being cautious of my feelings.

"I know. I shouldn't have rushed her into something like that," I admitted.

TWO DAYS LATER

AINSLEY'S POV

I was finally awake. I didn't know how long I'd been sleeping, but it felt like a while. I woke up to a familiar scent-- Colby's cologne. It brought it all back to me. The outlash. The screaming... The tears. But I wasn't worried. I didn't wake up in a panic like normal. I wasn't sad. I wasn't anxious about seeing Colby or his roommates. It seemed as if I didn't care at all. I looked to the left of me, and on Colby's dresser, was my notebook. I grabbed it and opened it and continued to write another classical piano piece.

For the course of a month, I didn't eat. I didn't speak. I didn't sleep. I just wrote piece after piece, rarely stopping. I refused to leave the warmth of Colby's bed. After the first week, Colby decided it was best if he left me alone after I screamed at him for touching me. He left meal after meal for me, but I didn't eat them. I haven't had an appetite in a long time. But Colby brought me an electric piano. So I finally decided to use it. I placed my fingers on the keys and played.

She's underwater again,

Somebody's daughter, a friend

In the night, in the dark, in the cold,

As she walks far away,

Nobody's watching

Drowning in words so sweet

Mild is the water

Caught as a bird, once free

I don't mind

Hope is a distance unreached

Ink on her skin, incomplete

And the faint sound of friends

As she neared the end, she found peace

Nobody's watching,

Drowning in words so sweet

Mild is the water

Caught as a bird, once free

I don't mind

I don't mind

The more I played, the more tears fell from my eyes. As the song progressed, my voice began to crack more and more. Until someone knocked on the door.

COLBY'S POV

I don't mind

I don't mind

As I heard Ainsley finish the last lyrics of her song, I felt a compulsory need to be there, holding her. I heard her sniffles and cries, but I wasn't there to comfort her. So I knocked on the door. I didn't wait for an answer. I opened the door to see a bloodshot, red-faced Ainsley. She stared at me. I didn't care what she looked like, but even with tears emerging from her eyes, she was fucking gorgeous. Ainsley didn't say a word. She just laid back on the bed. I walked over to my mattress and laid down beside her. I heard cries from beside me. Without hesitating, she sat up and hugged me. I breathed in her scent. 

"I'm here Ains," I whispered. She position herself in my lap and hugged me tighter. After Ainsley heard what I said, she cried harder and louder. I embraced her tightly, never letting go.

If you enjoy this story, please make sure to vote! <3

TO BE CONTINUED