Chapter Three-Part Three-Section II-January 4, 1946

I let Murphy out of the office.

"Bye".

"Bye!".

And then I closed the office door...and locked up.

***

I made my way to the Louisiana docks.

The swiring blackness of the deep water caused me to gasp; the water was freezing. I ignored the pain, as the gangsters were guarding the 356 bottles of Jack Daniels. It seemed to me that they knew about the haul of liqour.

I stared around.

Two gangsters were armed with Thompson guns.

Their pale grey suits were ragged; their shoes were polished.

"We got to move!", I ordered.

And that was when one of them knocked me out with the bottom of the gun's edge.

***

I thought I was dead; I thought the blackness was forever.

Obviously my big mouth was the diseased part of my psyche;  the blow was meant to tell me to shut up!

That was the point; that was the...

...I hadn't learnt from the almost near whackings. But I had had to get my head screwed back on; I had to...

I felt the bump on my head...And I was tied up in an office. Three black chairs was in the middle of the large room; two windows was covered in glass; the rope was around my hands. I was now thinking that my life in the underworld was coming to an end...

...Then the door creaked open...And I saw three gangsters shake their heads at me.  "Detective Amberson, you're not a gangster; you're not to give orders to us! For some reason, you whacked women because you enjoy it. That shows a sense of coldness that chills me. Despite your comical ways, we need all of the Jack Daniels before Midnight".

"Who are you?".

"Giorgio DeVregett".

"Another Italian mafia boss".

"There's no time to talk of mafia power struggles".

"Got a cigarette?".

"Yes, we also do business in skimmed cigarettes...and cigars. And now...please help us. You're on our payroll".

"And the Feds".

"We've taken...how do you Americans say...precautions against bugs. If we see that you're wired, we'll whack you right here...And now".

"Search me".

And, as the Mafia boss did so, more gangsters arrived to oversee the massive haul of liquor that was placed in a lot of trucks that was being transported from the Louisiana docks...and taken all of the way to Chicago.

Page 4.