Chapter 2 - The Beginning

So, you've got a great book idea or a character idea or two with which you've fallen in love. Hey, maybe you have both. Go you! How do you take this kernel into a story that you can share with the Wattpad community?

First, write down what you have so far. You just need to make notes. If you're not careful, you could get busy and lose your masterpiece. If you missed it, I have a link at the end of the glossary in chapter one that has spots for outlining and a character sheet. It might be helpful to you.

MS Word is an excellent product, but I write my fanfic in Google Docs ever since a friend (thanks Chris) got me hooked on it. On Google Docs, you get some (very) light editing but you can download the finished document to MS Word format, and the editing is a little bit better. I'll get into editing later. What I like about Google Docs is making the file groups is easy, and I can access my work from anyplace, any computer. It also auto-saves. Whatever you use, even if it's a crayon and a notebook, just use it. If you have the desire to write, then write.

So, you have a few notes. Ideally, you'll have someone to spitball your story with, someone with whom you can discuss it and bounce off ideas. You think it's great, but is there at least one other human being that agrees? More importantly, discussing the story can really help you to flesh it out. This friend could give you some interesting perspectives or something new may come to you just by speaking with them (speaking can be written in this case). I rarely discuss my stories with anyone before I post, and if I do, all of my communication is electronic. I live in a visual world, but that's just me. Do what works for you and find it through trial and error. If you don't have anyone with whom to discuss your idea, is there a reader of yours with whom you've grown friendly or is there a writer you respect who is good about responding to comments and PMs? Ask if they have time to hear about your new story ideas. It should be in a fandom they know, but writers are fans too, and we all need help. Wattpad is a community. Use it. There is a Community section, which I will admit to never having used, but it may be of help to you. Also, Google Docs is easy to share with others so multiple people can write on the document at once (No, I don't get paid by Google Docs ... I wish).