5: The Lady

MAIN HOUSE

Master's Chamber...

Lucy was sleeping soundly on the bed, the white sheet covering her figure.

As she lay there unconscious, Gildarts was putting his stethoscope back in his black briefcase.

He was standing just at the foot of the bed, with the Don next to him.

"She just suddenly had a headache again this afternoon." Natsu spoke quietly, staring at her face.

The doctor just followed his gaze.

He was silent for a moment.

Both of them were.

"Her system...isn't responding very well to the medicine anymore, am I correct?"

Gildarts turned to him. He could see the agony beyond the Don's eyes as he stared at his wife.

"The Lady has been taking the stabilizers for 4 years now." He answered, "We both know it isn't curing her...it's only-"

"Prolonging her life." Natsu finished for him.

The older one just sighed.

He felt bad that he couldn't do anything about it.

"Everyone thinks the reason behind Lucy's unstable health is caused by her miscarriage. They think the loss of the child has affected her health." He said.

The Head was silent.

"But they don't know the truth. Only you, me, and that dead bastard Invel knows," Gildarts slightly gritted his teeth at the mention of that traitor's name.

"You don't have to carry this pain on your own."

He was still silent.

"You have to tell them about this."

This time, Natsu shifted his head and looked at him. His eyes without a single sign of warmth, it was just dark.

"Say a word to anyone about my wife, and I will kill you."

Gildarts stared back. He knew he shouldn't meddle with Natsu's decisions. He also knew that the Lady wasn't the only one suffering. The Don was, too.

But there was no point in changing Natsu's mind about this matter. Clearly, he would die if he tried convincing him even more.

"What about the heir?" his thoughts went to the child. "If something happens to Lucy, would you still hide the truth from him?"

Short silence came again.

"He's strong," he answered with a stern face. "Lucas will not be weakened by anything and neither will he ask questions."

"Still, no matter how much you two are alike, he's only a boy, Natsu."

It sounded like he was lecturing him. And Natsu found that insulting.

"He is MY son," his voice sounded cold. "I know him better than anyone. And when I say he will get through anything, then he will."

Again, arguing with him was pointless.

"Alright," Gildarts let it go and just agreed.

Lucy's faint breathing was the only thing heard in the atmosphere.

She looked like she wasn't battling internally at all.

"How long?"

The Head suddenly spoke.