Chapter 5

As the days passed, Tate became more curious about how the whole ghost thing works. He would ask where I stayed when I would leave, could I eat, am I susceptible to injury, just things of that nature. Then the day came where he popped the real question.

We were laying in bed together when he asked, "how did you die?" I didn't really know what to say. I knew how I died but it was just so bloody and the emotions behind it would only cause me great grief.

"I don't know if I can-" I paused as I looked up at him. His eyes were full of curiosity and almost disappointment but in those eyes I felt something powerful. Something that could give me the courage I need to be able to speak about my final hours.

Tears began to fill my eyes as I recounted the story about how I was so in love with someone. They were all that I had. All that I had known. We were childhood friends and we grew up together. Through thick and thin, they stayed. They were my everything.

"But then came the day that they turned on me..." I trail off with sniffle. Just thinking about the pain I went through was enough to bring it all back. "They were forced into doing it, lest they wanted to end up like me; constantly bullied and told such horrible things."

I looked up at him and saw that he was intently listening. That he really cared.

"So them and a group of people would harass me all the time. My breaking point came when they had told me to kill myself. I was beyond heartbroken." Tears were flowing freely now. I paused for a few moments in hoping to ground myself. "So I took their advice. I came back home and found a razor my dad kept for shaving." I sat upright and pulled my sleeve up to reveal the long cut that almost ran from my wrist to the bend in my elbow. "I sliced myself open. It didn't really hurt but after doing it, I felt some sort of relief. That I wouldn't have to deal with them anymore. It was a peaceful death." I looked down at the covers and let more tears fall. I felt the bed shift and realized that Tate had moved to sit up as well. He pulled me into a tight embrace and gently kissed the side of my head.

"I'm so sorry that you had to experience that. If I was there, man I really would've taught them a lesson." I could feel anger was building in him. The racing of his heart and increased breathing was enough to concern me.

Through my tears I whispered to him, "it's okay. I've left them behind. It's okay..." I think I was half trying to convince myself that things were okay too. They never felt okay. At least not before Tate. I felt safe and warm with him. He is all that I need.