My Adopted Ghost

"Henry, I'm at work. I can't chat long."

"I'll love you forever, Mags."

"I love you forever and always." Hanging up the phone, a grin spreads across my face.

I turn to face footsteps. Blonde hair, sharp nose, pale skin. She looks a little disheveled, probably had a tough day. I feel for the poor thing.

"Hello, Saundra. How is your treatment going today?" Silence stretches out between us. She isn't always talkative. I don't hold it against her. I mean, she's here, at St. Augustine's Mental Health Reformatory Institution. I can only imagine what she's going through. At the young age of 25, she's already seen her fair share of trauma. I hope we can help heal her of her mental illness. Grief comes in so many forms.

"You're crazy, you know that, right?" Saundra retorted.

"Saundra, there's no need to be rude. Do you want to talk about your visit with the doctor? What did he say?"

"Go sit on a cactus! I don't want to talk!"

Saundra stomped over to her room, slamming the door, still fuming.

I'll check on her later. I smooth my white nurse's uniform with my hands.

A soft voice interrupted my thoughts. "Sweetie, it's time to take your medicine."

"What do you mean?" I straighten my nurse's hat. "I'm a fellow nurse here, Janet, I don't need any medicine. I'm here to dole out medicine and help these patients."

"Of course, let's just have you see Dr. Kazeroff now, alright?"

"But... but... yes, let's see the doctor. I'm sure he can clear this all up for us."

My feet lead me to Dr. Kazeroff's office.

"Doctor! Please! You must help! There must be some confusion. I am a nurse here, Nurse Maggie Fields."

Dr. Kazeroff seems unperturbed by my outcries. "Maggie, do we need to talk about this again? Have you forgotten already? Two years ago you and Henry bought an old home in Pottsville, a fixer-upper. When you found him with another woman, you burned the house down with them inside. You aren't a nurse, and Henry's dead and gone, Maggie."

"NO! But I see him. I talk to him. He isn't dead, I promise! I love him, I'd never do that!"

"Don't get all worked up again, Mags, or we'll have to tranquilize you again."

"I refuse to believe you! You're lying. I am a nurse here! And I have a wonderful, loving husband waiting for me at home!"

"Calm down, Maggie, and we won't have to use the jacket, ok?"

"NO! NO! This isn't the way it's supposed to be! Where is Henry? I want to see Henry!"

"Charles, Sonny, grab the tranquilizers and jacket. I think she's going to be a difficult patient today."

"NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" I screamed. A couple of male nurses walk towards me. Run. RUN! I almost make it to the door when I am grabbed around the waist and feel a prick. My last thoughts are a swirl of confusion and blackness takes over my vision.