(1) Happier | Daryl

"I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be Daryl." She spoke with a matter-of-fact tone. While viewing the outside. Upon stepping across the threshold, a few birds quickly bombarded the entrance, earning a shriek and scaring her to the core. Once they found their way out into the open air they dispersed in various directions. Cobwebs lined the stripped doorway, and grime stuck to the windows, making it nearly impossible to see inside.

She looked into the run down home and witnessed the disaster it truly was. Papers and empty food containers littered the floor. The wall paper, displaying a dingy coloring was practically peeling off the walls all while it held an eerie atmosphere.

"Home sweet Home." He said over her shoulder before stepping into the ruckus.

She took a deep breath and put on a decent sized smile before shifting things around. Lifting boxes and pushing furniture. He looked back to see her busy at work.

"I knew it would be a fixer-upper." She struggled to say while pushing the dingy and dusty sofa. Dusting off her hands and putting them on her hips, she turned to him with glee. "Just takes a little effort."

He smirked at her enthusiasm, but once he turned his back to her it quickly vanished. He took in the mess it truly was and shook his head while trudging through the trash.

Making sure the coast was clear, he left her near the front entrance to continue her cleaning and organizing.

Once he mentioned his recent finding to her, he knew it was all over from there. All she wanted was a home to herself, a place to call home anyway. She adored the group and they were practically family, but she wanted her white picket fence and a place she knew they wouldn't have to run from.

Of course the pristine image she had in her mind was scratched up a bit, but regardless, she couldn't be happier.

He sighed at the work that would have to be done just to get it into a decent living order. Not even counting reinforcements around the perimeter ensuring their safety.

"Daryl!" She shouted down the hall. Loud, heavy footsteps neared as they hit the hard wood flooring. She rounded the corner and held up a pot she must've found in the kitchen. "Can you believe it?! We can finally have hot water!"

She always found joy in the smallest things.

This discovery caused a light bulb to go off as she ran into the other room. "There's a bathtub!"

Her mind began to think of all the possibilities all while he could only think of how she deserved so much more than this shit show.

The house was clear and the only walker was found in the living room but it was already taken out.

He pulled it into the backyard and made sure it was far enough where they couldn't see it.

Adjusting the crossbow so it played comfortably on his back, he began to head back to the house.

He glanced up to see her through the kitchen window. She was moving things around and adjusting them all over again. Her smile faltered and she put her hands above her head, taking deep breaths to try and calm herself down. Once she collected herself, she continued to fix it up how she wanted.

Ever since they met, she went along with everything he did. Even before the apocalypse.

The fights
The drinking
The drugs
The anger
And all the madness in between.

She was there for it all and yet she's still here. Through every hardship she always sported a smile.

Except for now.