; 1

6 Years Prior

--

I still remember the first day of elementary, I was super excited and anxious at the same time. What if I fail? What if I couldn't make new friends? What if I no one likes me? Thousands of what ifs came into my mind the night before school starts.

I miss that excitement, now all I could think about is where will I go after this?

It was the first day of senior year, after a long break of summer and a damaged sleeping schedule, it was time to face the last year of high school. 

"Maddie! Come down please! You're going to be late!' a muffled voice called from downstairs. I took a final look on the full body mirror to check if anything is odd.

I took my watch and hurriedly went down the stairs. My smelling sense was greeted by the warm scent of fresh made pancakes and coffee. The essentials of first day of school.

"You're still here, Dad? I thought you've already left" I gave my dad a suspicious look while taking a seat in the dining table.

"I can't miss my kid's first day of senior year can I?" He glanced at me and winked. 

"It's just like any other day, what's so special?"

"The special thing is this is the last year of formal school, honey, cheer up a little!" My mother piped in and added another slice of pancake on my plate.

"Where's Elle?" the bright pink lunch box was no where to be seen and that high-pitched voice was not heard at all.

"She's still sleeping, she doesn't start school until next week" Dad answered and I raised my eyebrows, why did high school start earlier than elementary? Why?

Suddenly, there was a knock on the door, interrupting the family conversation we were currently having.

"I'll get that" Mum stood up and quickly went to the door. Not long after that I heard the door being opened and a very loud hello. I took a glance on my watch and thought to my self, he's here already?

"Good morning Mr. Kim, how are you? It has been a while since we met yeah?" he walked towards my dad to give him a hand shake but in return he got a big hug from my dad instead.

"Chris! How have you been? Maddie said you went back to Korea this summer?" my dad patted his shoulder and signaling him to sit down.

"Yes, I had to attend my cousin's wedding and my parents insisted I had to come" he said lightly with a laugh.

Meet Chris, my childhood friend who lives next door, my best friend, and my family loves him, including my little sister Elle.

Little did he know I've been crushing on him since Year 10.

"Minji are you finished? C'mon we'll be late" he stood up after saying thank you to my parents for the breakfast. He doesn't usually come and eat breakfast with us, but again, the first day of school essentials, he has been doing this since elementary.

My parents' eyes gone wide and I hurriedly kissed both their cheeks for goodbyes. "Bye mum! Dad! Will be back later in the afternoon"

"Min jee? You've never let me call you that since elementary! Why is he calling you that? I feel betrayed.." My dad called out from the kitchen and I pushed Chris out of the door.

"Bye dad I love you!" by that sentence I closed the door behind me and gave Chris the meanest glare I've got. But instead, he laughed, that stupid laugh.

"What? I've been calling you Minji since we were little" he raised his eyebrows on me, small smile still trailing in his lips.

"I've told you to not call me that around my family! Dude come on we'll be late" I rolled my eyes and proceed to walk to the driveway.

"Where are you going?" he suddenly asked, standing still in front of the door.

"The bus stop?" 

He pulled out something from his back pocket, revealing car keys.

"You've got a car now? Your parents finally trusted you enough with moving vehicle??" If my jaw could drop, it would be dislocated at this moment.

"Shh you don't have to shout! My parents thought it would be much more convenient to drive on my own rather than asking them to drive us if we missed the bus" He walked pass me and reached his driveway.

"I'm amazed they give you the license in the first place" 

"Hey! I'm not that bad" he protested with a glimpse of laughter in his voice.

"You almost hit someone's trash bin and almost ran a cat over, Channie" I rolled my eyes but proceeded to follow him to the car.

"That was two years ago, can you just let it go already, it's not fair" he tried to add hurt in his voice, but the keyword is tried, he failed and laughed anyway.

"Can I have the radio for today?" I said as I connect the bluetooth in my phone with the radio.

"I love it when you call me that" he blurted out of the blue while starting the car.

My cheeks felt warm as my brain tried to process what just happened.

"What?"

"I love it when you call me Channie instead of Chris" he said without even looking at me, proceeding to drive out of the garage. 

"Shut up, your parents and siblings called you Chan too" 

"But it's different when it comes with you" 

New semester, new beginnings, new things. 

----

please vote, share, and comment! 

oh and please do listen to the song i've recommended too!!