I get jolted awake by the loud engine rumbling to life. The compartment fills with fumes and smoke. My hands race to grab my mask to put over my mouth. I fumble a bit, but I finally get it on, drawing a deep breath. My lungs filling with the cold air. I pull my goggles down so I can see. A gun, most likely way older than me, sits mere inches in front of me. I look at it, my mind fills with depression and loneliness. My body stiffens, my muscles ache with pain. I look up at the radio, turning it on, pulling the headset over my ears. It quiets the engine a bit, but not enough. My head spins with the sounds. "BUTTON UP!" I hear screamed through the headset. I feel the metal around me shake voilently as my crew mates slam their hatches closed. I look out the view port, seeing dirt, craters, burnt trees and bodies strewn about the ground. It doesn't make me get sick like it used to. I don't feel regret killing those bastards anymore. I don't feel anger anymore. To be honest I don't feel anymore. The depression drones the rest out. I hear my commander order the driver to get us moving. The engine revs and the hunk of metal lurches foward, deafening us with it's roar. I blink, looking over the landscape. I drift back asleep, letting the vibration and engine calm me. I no longer worry about not waking up. At this point, that would be relief.