...

She's been out on tour for two years now. And I don't know if.... anything's happened. No calls to say 'hello'; no postcards or texts. Nothing. Friends don't even know how she's doing. I see her today anyways, so much has happened while she was gone. Maybe we can catch up with the short month she has off. Maybe....

    The plane landed and the first text in two years buzzed from my phone.
Hey I've landed, I'll meet you by the lobby.

   I smile softly to myself and make my way over to the airport lobby cafe.
I remember the last time I saw her, before she flew out of my arms and to the embrace of the world. I could barely contain myself, to see someone you've raised and known for so long leave you with only hugs, kisses, and only one goodbye.
At first a couple of other citizens came from the unloading area, then a crowd began to form around the docks. A mass of soldiers dressed in their blues emerged from the now applauding crowd.

I see her, for the first time in two years. What was once a slouched figure now someone who stands tall and ready to fight. What once was a solemn look now filled with life, tiredness, and determination. The ranks that rest on her shoulders stand out more like they mean something on the proud blues.

She didn't see me at first, but after a second of hazy studying she finds me. Slowly, she begins to increase her speed towards me... it becomes more overwhelming. I haven't seen you in so long, look how much you've grown!
Tears lined my eyes but I managed to push them back. I recall now how sad she was when she departed. And the weeks leading up to that faithful day. Nervous, scared, but also jubilant and proud.
Now just steps away I see her frame has become firm and serious, time has been kind. Her features still young and vibrant, but that smile has now turned into a sad one.
Finally, the embrace. She's warm. I hug her tighter, it's been so long. I can almost feel the life seeping off of her, she looks up at me with tears running down her eyes and cheeks; smearing her makeup in the process. I smile.
Why are you crying?

She sniffles and hugs me tighter.
I've missed you so much.
She said with glee.

I smile and enjoy the warm embrace she has given me. She detaches, once again I feel more alone but only for a second. She grabs her dropped suitcase and grabs my hand. The once soft and delicate hands now turned rough and full of hardened skin. We leave the air port and get some lunch.