...

Even at the diner she is recognized and respected. She gave a small chuckle and a faint smile to thank the on-lookers. We sat down and began to chat, she talks differently now. Once quiet and hushed, now loud and firm. Her voice no longer high and sweet, now scratchy and low. But even after all this time, her shyness never changed.

So how have you been doing?

She grimaced and laughed.
Well enough I suppose. You know?

I could barely hear her from the buzz of the restaurant. I nodded.
How about you? You haven't said much about that.

I smiled.
The usual. Working, to keep you funded for college, not like you care though.

Surprise flushed her tired features:
WHAT? I'm very grateful for your help.... though I may... never show it.

I nodded my head.
Uh-huh

She seemed to panic.
What no- I mean yes I'm grateful and - and

I shook my head and crossed my arms.
Surreeeeee that's what you said the last time.

She slouched in defeat. And rubbed the back of her head.
I....
She smiled at me with weary eyes.
I love you too.

The rest of her visit was interesting to say the least, there was a couple new quirks to get used to... and even more odd habits. The days came and went and soon it was time for her to leave me again.
Thank you for letting me stay for a month.
She said to me slowly.

I could already feel the warmth slipping off of me.

Tears were lining her eyes. She gave me a hug. Like it was the last time she would ever see me. I smiled for what seems one last time for the next five years.
She let go of me and waved goodbye.
I saw her load into the plane and move to the takeoff platform.
The last message from her rang on my phone for the last time in the next five years:
I love you ! So much!!!

Goodbye again, my baby girl.