Dirt Water

Jenna

Note to self: When choosing a job, don't work at a coffee shop. Why you may ask? Well I, Jenna Black, now a former employee will tell you. After I get over my rage first, that is. Or maybe I should just turn this into a rant and get it all out.

I've been working at Starbucks for the past six months trying to support myself in my one-bedroom apartment. Well, I was working there until I got fired this morning. One of the other employees apparently saw me being slightly rude to a customer the other morning and reported it to our manager. He later called me to his office and got onto me during my shift this morning.

Well, I'm sorry that I was in such a bad mood, Mr. Thompson. It's not like I was crying in my car on the way to work that morning after receiving a call from a major magazine company saying that I "wasn't what they were looking for." My heart was so set on that job, too. It probably would've been my future career. Who wouldn't be in a bad mood after receiving that news!?

Oh well, at least I don't have to deal with Starbucks anymore. Sure, some people may think that it would be cool to work there. Free coffee, right? Sorry to burst your bubble, but you're going to need something a lot stronger than coffee to cope with the stress after a busy workday.

One of the things I hated about working at that place was all of the college kids would come in there and sit at the tables with their laptops or phones, just burning up the WiFi. Did I mention how rude they can be? I mean, that can apply to pretty much any customer, especially in the early mornings when no one has had their coffee yet, but the college kids are the worst.

The smell of coffee itself makes me want to never drink it again. It will forever be imprinted into my memory just because I've had to put up with that smell every single day.

Did I mention how crowded it can get, or all of the complicated orders people make? You also have to be cheery for customers all of the time, even if you just witnessed a cat get hit by a car that very morning. It's exhausting. No wonder I got fired.

I take a deep breath and flex my hands against my steering wheel. "Calm yourself, Jenna!" I say out loud. "You deserve better, anyways."

I turn into the parking lot of my apartment complex. Grabbing the keys, I lock my car door and climb the two flights of stairs until reaching door 42. I shove my keys into the lock and turn the knob angrily, flipping the light to my apartment on as I walk inside.

I flop down on my couch and sigh heavily. Rent is due next week, and I'm not sure if I'm going to get a severing paycheck to help pay for it or not. Knowing my luck it will probably be the latter.

Playing with my keys, I realize that a hot shower would probably be the best thing to rinse out the smell of coffee and anger.

I walk into my bedroom for a change of clothes, then go across the hall to the bathroom and start the water. I climb in after it's nice and hot and stand under the water for a few minutes, my skin tingling from the heat. It reminds me of the pinprick sensation you get from when your foot falls asleep from sitting in an awkward position for too long. Steam starts to rise above the shower curtain after a few minutes, which is my signal to get out. My bathroom fan is broken, so I don't want to humidify my whole apartment by showering for too long.

After drying off and changing into clothes free of coffee scent, I put on the jewelry that I have to take off every time I shower. I slide my bracelets and rings back onto my hands and wrists, then reach for the necklace that I never leave home without: my pearly-pink heart locket. I've had it for almost a decade now.

Using my chipped, maroon-painted fingernails, I pry the heart open. Inside is two pictures. On the right side is of sixteen-year-old me with my cousin, Brett, the one who gave me this necklace.

On the left side is a picture of me giggling and blushing while a brown-haired boy is kissing me on the cheek. This is my prom picture with someone I haven't seen in years: Tyler Joseph.

I smile nostalgically. Tyler was such a good boyfriend. We started dating my senior year, which was probably the craziest year of my life. The long-distance relationship didn't work out though. I got a scholarship to an arts school here in California while he stayed on the other side of the country in Ohio to get his band off the ground. We kept in touch really well for a while, but then I got so busy with college and other stuff that our contact with each other grew sparse. I tried calling him one day after a few months, but I think he changed his number.

I sigh. Putting distance between the two of us is one of my biggest regrets. I haven't really been able to get over him, either. Too many things remind me of him, like this locket for example. He's given me so much.

Girl, you need to pull yourself together! my inner voice tells me. You are an independent woman! You don't need a man to make you happy!

I sigh because of course, the voice is right. But before I switch off of the topic of Tyler Joseph, I can't help but think of one more thing:

I wonder what he's doing now?

Hey, guys! I'm back again with a sequel, and I'm really excited to write it! Anyways, just to let you know, I love getting votes and comments on my stories, so don't be afraid to send in your feedback! A lot of people's comments keep me going, so fire away (or fall away. It's your choice). I don't bite!

  Also, thanks to all of you who replied to the coffee question on my message board. It was greatly appreciated 😂😂😂.