Part 3: The Mission

A/N--

I hope you enjoy this extra story. I had a lot of fun writing it!

Oh yeah, and a GIF of Bucky and Sam because why not?

God bless!

~PeytonStarkofAsgard

One Month Ago

You jolt awake, unsure of the reason for your abrupt waking. Then you hear it. A tortured cry, saturated with pain and regret. "No..."

Bucky.

You slip out of bed, and open the door of your room. Steve is just coming out of his room as well and you regard each other with half-awake eyes.

"You can go back to bed, (Y/N)," Steve says, waving you away.

You look him over with skeptical eyes. "No, Steve, you look exhausted." He did indeed look exhausted, his normally bright eyes dim and sleepy.

He shrugs and turns around, heading back into his room. "Besides, senior citizens need their sleep," You mutter.

"I heard that." Steve says, heading into his room with a small chuckle.

You push open the door of Bucky's room, peering into the darkness.

He is tangled in the bed sheets, strangling a pillow.

You stand in the doorway for a moment, thinking that the nightmare has passed. But just as you are turning to leave Bucky moans. "No. I-- I don't want to, don't make me. Stop, please. No..."

You're heart breaks a little at the words, and you tiptoe to the bedside. "Bucky?" You whisper, knowing that it's going to take more than that to wake him up.

You kneel at the bedside and give Bucky's shoulder a firm shake. "Wake up."

He shifts slightly before shooting up, instantly alert. Bucky turns to you and lunges forward. You yelp softly and duck sideways. The force of Bucky's lunge takes him halfway across the room.

"Bucky, it's me!" You pant, standing up.

He pauses, breathing like he's just run a marathon. "Oh. Sorry, (Y/N)," He says, running a hand through his hair in an agitated way.

"It's fine. I should know better than to wake you up like that."

"What time is it?" Bucky asks, probably trying to change the subject.

You oblige, glancing down at the watch on your wrist. "5:30 am. Let's head down to the gym and get some training in." You suggest, knowing that this is Bucky's favorite way to take his mind off the nightmares.

Bucky nods and follows you to the elevator.

Once in the gym, you both wrap your hands in protective tape and head to the arena. You leap forward, grabbing Bucky's arm. He swings around and you jump back anticipating the punch that follows. Grabbing his arm again, you stick one leg out in front of him and use Bucky's momentum to trip him and pin him to the mat.

"Bucky." You give him an annoyed look. "How many times do I have to tell you not to go easy on me? I'm not made of glass!"

Bucky smirks. "Fine."

Quick as lightning he is back up, knocking you down. He plants his knee on your chest, hands pinning your wrists on either side of you head.

You struggle slightly before giving up. "That's more like it!" You exclaim, as he releases you.